Sore Knees

Options
Hello my knowledgeable MFP friends!

Recently I have noticed that my knee joints have been sore and uncomfortable.

I have been doing Body Pump for about 2 months now and I am wondering if the squats or lunges could be causing the sore knees? I watch my form in the mirror (the side view) and see that I am at a 90 degree angle when doing the squats but I was wondering if it could still be effecting my knees.

I also have flat feet and I'm thinking it could maybe be my running shoes. Maybe it's time for new ones? (any excuse for a new pair of shoes ;))

I have been slacking on my cardio lately so I know I am not doing a high impact cardio routine that could be causing this.

Any ideas/thoughts/advice?

All is appreciated :)

Replies

• becca0211
    becca0211 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Bump... I'm interested in the answers you get. I am 9 weeks into the P90X workout and last week I started having some major issues with my knees.
  • JatieKo621
    JatieKo621 Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    How long have you had your shoes?
  • AdamATGATT
    AdamATGATT Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    Yoga X and Plyo X took a toll on my knees. For the past week I have been using Cho-Pat dual braces on both knees. No more issues.

I've also switched over to VFF shoes. Haven't used them enough to say conclusively if they'd help. On first blush, they do feel nice and have helped with a few moves. I'll definitely know better when I start Insanity tonight/tomorrow.
  • Drewso
    Drewso Posts: 16
    Options
    Watch that your knees don't go past your toes when doing squats or lunges. Glucosamine is a great supplement you can use as well.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Mine were hurting big time, but since I started making a point to shift my weight onto my heels during squats & lunges (which I hate with the burning of a thousand suns), they feel way better.
  • WeCallThemDayWalkers
    WeCallThemDayWalkers Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Hmm....I have trouble with my knees as well. I have patellar tendonitis and running makes them sore sometimes. Since I want to run, I cross train with squats and lunges (which is what a physical therapist told me to do) but sometimes I think those moves actually hurt MORE. I'm interested to see what others have to say too!

Oh also, like you, I have flat feet. The best thing I ever did was get fitted for custom orthotics at a Podiatrist's office. They correct your landing pattern and gait. I can't run without them, or else I feel my knees rolling in and my ankles trying to rebalance my pronation. So, if you're inclined, orthotics alone might solve your knee problems!
  • VickiMitkins
    VickiMitkins Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Also try an omega 3 supplents for inflamation. Be careful and read the label to be sure you are only getting omega 3. Some fish oil has a good bit of omega 6 as well. Most people already get plenty of the omega 6.
  • becca0211
    becca0211 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Yoga X and Plyo X took a toll on my knees. For the past week I have been using Cho-Pat dual braces on both knees. No more issues.

I've also switched over to VFF shoes. Haven't used them enough to say conclusively if they'd help. On first blush, they do feel nice and have helped with a few moves. I'll definitely know better when I start Insanity tonight/tomorrow.
    Plyo isn't part of the Lean program BUT I gave it a try a right before my knees started bothering me!!! Probably a big part of the problem.
    Good luck with Insanity
  • UpToTheChallenge
    Options
    How long have you had your shoes?

At least 6 months I'd say? Maybe longer.

And thanks for the advice about the omega 3, I'll look into getting some tomorrow when I'm at the store!
  • ltlhmom
    ltlhmom Posts: 1,202 Member
    Options
    I noticed that my knees are sore when I do the 30 Day Shred and all the squats. I was also wondering if my form was off. I also notice that they hurt when I have the tension up on the elliptical. But they are fine after a day.
  • mschickiepoo
    mschickiepoo Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I noticed that my knees are sore when I do the 30 Day Shred and all the squats. I was also wondering if my form was off. I also notice that they hurt when I have the tension up on the elliptical. But they are fine after a day.

I've never had any issues with my knees until I started doing the 30 day shred... now one knee is bothering me quite often. I have an office job, so when I sit for any period of time and then I get up.......... I really notice it. Any suggestions???
  • estelle74uk
    estelle74uk Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Hmm....I have trouble with my knees as well. I have patellar tendonitis and running makes them sore sometimes. Since I want to run, I cross train with squats and lunges (which is what a physical therapist told me to do) but sometimes I think those moves actually hurt MORE. I'm interested to see what others have to say too!

Oh also, like you, I have flat feet. The best thing I ever did was get fitted for custom orthotics at a Podiatrist's office. They correct your landing pattern and gait. I can't run without them, or else I feel my knees rolling in and my ankles trying to rebalance my pronation. So, if you're inclined, orthotics alone might solve your knee problems!

I have the same problem, I am using the things you put in your shoes because of my arches that have fallen. I was told not to do squats or lunges anymore, but have been given knee strengthening exercises. They said it might be the begining of arthritis but have to go for some physio. My kneecap moves from side to side rather than up and down when I bend them, which is not right.