Million Dollar Spaghetti

Options
steffilily
steffilily Posts: 149
My friend has this recipe that I love! It's so good and is almost like lasagna. I haven't had it in months and was wanting it so I tried to see if I could make it lower in calories. It came out to 323 calories per serving (1/8 of a baking dish)!

Here's the recipe.

1 lb lean ground beef
4 1/2 cups spaghetti sauce of your choice ( I used the Homemade Gourmet Homestyle Spaghetti Sauce)
1 block fat free cream cheese - softened
16 oz low fat cottage cheese
1/2 cup fat free sour cream
8 oz pasta (I was going to make 12 oz of pasta but only had 8 oz of angel hair pasta on hand and it turned out to be enough).

Heat oven to 350. Boil the pasta. Brown beef and drain. Add spaghetti sauce to meat and warm it up on low heat. Meanwhile, mix together cream cheese, cottage cheese and sour cream and set aside. Once pasta is done, drain it and put half of the pasta in a 13x9 baking dish, spread all the cheese mixture on top. Put rest of pasta over the cheese mixture. Pour the spaghetti/meat sauce over the top (be careful that it doesn't overflow!). Bake for 45-50 minutes.

I considered 1/8 of the baking dish to be a serving size and it covers almost the entire plate! Yummy and satisfying!

Replies

• crystal10584
    Options
    try it with low fat ground turkey meat... it'll lower that value a lot!!
  • WifedUpMartin
    WifedUpMartin Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    That sounds so yummy! I will have to copy this and set it aside to try! Thanks!
  • aubraann03
    Options
    bump
  • sarahwright01
    sarahwright01 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    My thoughts exactly! and Ground turkey on sale is not any more expensive than beef not on sale!
  • timbotina
    timbotina Posts: 1,130 Member
    Options
    bump
  • chefchazz
    chefchazz Posts: 427
    Options
    i thought you were gonna say it had a bunch of carats(carrots) :laugh:
  • jencoz04
    jencoz04 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    i bet it would be good with spaghetti squash instead of the pasta. i might have to try that.
  • JustJudy
    JustJudy Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Sounds yummy!! I'll definitely have to try it and share it with my GCC's: Goddesses of Cream Cheese....just a bunch of college friends who always center our girl's weekend meals around at least ONE dish with cream cheese!!!
  • steffilily
    Options
    Where I shop at is always out of stock on the 93/7 ground turkey so I used to get the 85/15. I learned a couple months ago that 93/7 ground beef is much lower than the 85/15 turkey! I started getting the 93/7 beef and it's only 10 calories more per serving than the 93/7.
  • cherylwhite
    cherylwhite Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    bump... Thanks!
  • steffilily
    Options
    Sounds yummy!! I'll definitely have to try it and share it with my GCC's: Goddesses of Cream Cheese....just a bunch of college friends who always center our girl's weekend meals around at least ONE dish with cream cheese!!!

That sounds like a fun thing to do! Do you have any cream cheese recipes to share with us?
  • smitty328
    smitty328 Posts: 164 Member
    Options

That was my idea too =)
  • lfcutie
    lfcutie Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • annacataldo
    annacataldo Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    instead of a whole pound of whatever kind of meat, you could use .75lbs of it, and instead of regular pasta do a whole grain. also spaghetti sauce in a can is lower calories that in a glass bottle...but if u get tomato sauce and just add ur own seasonings to it, it would probably be even lower... also you could add in onion, celery, mushrooms to ur sauce to add veggies to it... try cutting the ounces down a little and it will save u calories---instead of 16oz cottage cheese, do 12 or 14oz, or something like that... just some ideas...
  • annacataldo
    annacataldo Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    also, watch ur sodium levels in these types of meals... those canned sauces have tons of sodium... canned anything really. something could be low calorie but then blow all ur salt for the day, or all ur fat for the day, in one serving.. so ur not just looking at calorie value and trying to lower just one number...
  • therobinator
    therobinator Posts: 832 Member
    Options
    bumpto try later. :)
  • cobracars
    cobracars Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    We make something almost the same, but call it Dreamy Spaghetti Casserole.
    Absolutely love it and now that I'm trying to eat healthy the next batch will be a science experiment to see what values we can lower without altering the wonderful taste too much. :happy:
  • maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    sounds delish!
    AND I love some of the ideas for making it healthier like the whole wheat pasta, more veggies, etc.
  • jsteras
    jsteras Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Yummy:)
  • joann
    joann Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Another way to lower the calorie count on this dish is to switch out a couple layers of the noddles with eggplant...yummmmmmmm