I COULD EAT A HORSE!!!

Options
I feel like I have been eating all day! But I'm starving! I just got home not too long ago, and finished up homework with the kids. I finally got dinner set up for them, and they just about to eat. I've had two servings already!!! - Don't worry, I've already put it into my food "tracker" thingy and it says I'm cool... but one question... is it okay to get more things in one category(i.e., calories, carbs, etc.), than in another (i.e., fat, protein). I was just looking at my target numbers and I am not above what I should, nor am I too far below it. Initially, I thought that it was good, because the projected 5 week period would have put me at the weight that I wanted to be wwhen I started this thing. Good, right? I just want to make sure that I do this right... it's saying that I didn't get the recommended amount of fat and protein. Is that okay?

Replies

• malonajackson
    Options
    I feel like I have been eating all day! But I'm starving! I just got home not too long ago, and finished up homework with the kids. I finally got dinner set up for them, and they just about to eat. I've had two servings already!!! - Don't worry, I've already put it into my food "tracker" thingy and it says I'm cool... but one question... is it okay to get more things in one category(i.e., calories, carbs, etc.), than in another (i.e., fat, protein). I was just looking at my target numbers and I am not above what I should, nor am I too far below it. Initially, I thought that it was good, because the projected 5 week period would have put me at the weight that I wanted to be wwhen I started this thing. Good, right? I just want to make sure that I do this right... it's saying that I didn't get the recommended amount of fat and protein. Is that okay?
  • FatDancer
    FatDancer Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Hi Moe...someone should have some info for you soon...I can't ever get it right on the numbers...I do stay at my calorie limit but sometimes I get to much protein and not enough carbs etc...it will take a little work to balance it all out...I concentrate on what they say at "pyramid.gov" for amount of fruits, meats, grains etc...

No worries,
    Fat Dancer
  • Eve23
    Eve23 Posts: 2,352 Member
    Options
    I don't always get my numbers perfectly and I don't imagine many of us do. I do try to stay in range on a few things I track on a daily basis. Fat content, Fiber and protein. I can usually hit my numbers pretty good if I can hit one or two of those within the boudaries. But there are days I do go over.

Hope that helps. Have heart though and don't stress to much about it.

Eve
  • salterdsalter2
    Options
    I only keep up with my calories. Gave up on the rest!!
  • yesIcan
    yesIcan Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Well the reason you're so hungry all the time could be because you are getting most of you calories from your carbs.
    Carbs are actually sugars... lots of lots of individual sugars linked up in long chain. That's what starch is too. (if you chew a potatoe for a really long time you'll notice it starts to taste sweet). So what happens is, when you eat mostly carbs, they break down fast in your stomach which cause your blood sugar level to rise (makes you full) but then what happens is your pancrease begins to secrete insulin, because too much sugar in your blood is bad. Insulin causes sugar to be stored in your cells as FAT.. and what's worse is after insulin does it's job, your blood sugar level drops again and you're hungry! Even if you ate enough calories.
    If your going to eat carbs make sure they're good ones, like brown rice, and whole grain beads or vegetables and fruits because even though its still sugar, it's all bound up in fiber which takes longer to digest and you skip that peak in your blood sugar, making you full longer. Also mix it in with some good fats and fiber to delay the digestion process even longer.
  • Lindasmaller
    Options
    Protein and fat may be why you are hungry. Who am I to say but I want to help because I like "eating like a horse" also but I eat protein and fat enough to feel satisfied so try it and see if more balance satisfies. Good Luck!
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,783 Member
    Options
    Not getting the recommended protein is very unusual. Did you eat differently today? Are you a vegan or on some special diet? Normally you need 1/2 your weight in protein grams and most people go way over. I wouldn't sweat it too much. Under reports, you can see what you ate for the week/month/etc. and see if there is a tread. If you are normally getting under 70 grams of protein, or whatever is right for you, you might want to re-examine your diet.
  • malonajackson
    Options
    Hi Moe...someone should have some info for you soon...I can't ever get it right on the numbers...I do stay at my calorie limit but sometimes I get to much protein and not enough carbs etc...it will take a little work to balance it all out...I concentrate on what they say at "pyramid.gov" for amount of fruits, meats, grains etc...

No worries,
    Fat Dancer

Although all the responses above had great information, I think yours hit it righ ton the nose. My problem before was that I wasn't eating enough or I wasn't eating the right things when I did. When I said that I felt like I had been eating all day, it was because I am trying to incorporate small snacks in between meals... Even though I had been doing that, I still felt hungry... but its unusal for me to eat like that, ya know? So I felt like I "had been eating all day" and it was weird to me because I was still hungry.

I think what you said about balancing it all out ois what I need to pay more attention to. Thanks for the advise. I just need to make sure that I am EATING. I don't have an eating disorder or anything, I'm not a vegan (eeewww), I just usually don't have the time to eat, and when I do its junk food or vending machine snacks, or fast food. I just wanna do better this time around, feel me? Again, thanks for all the comments! You guys ROCK!
  • FatDancer
    FatDancer Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    ps Moe...correction on gov website...the correct web address is www.mypyramid.gov

Cheers,
    Fat Dancer
  • filergirl
    Options
    Hey! There are some vegans / vegetarians on here! We're nice people too. We rock as well. :P
  • malonajackson
    Options
    Hey! There are some vegans / vegetarians on here! We're nice people too. We rock as well. :P

I think vegans ROCK too!! I like some, atcually LOVE some vegetables, but I don't think that I would be able to live with no meat... But, I definately can respect that you (and all the others on here too) have chosen to eat healthier... sometimes I can really see why! I meant no disrespect; I was thanking everyone that gave me words of encouragement... now that includes YOU! :wink:
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,943 Member
    Options
    malona,

mehughes was just teasin' you....she is a very funny lady. You'll get to know her after a while. Very intelligent and funny. :smile:

My two cents would be the food pyramid as well. If you don't get enough protein and you are working out, you will quickly run out of energy and possibly start burning lean muscle for fuel. Fats are important, too. You will feel so much better when you get a balance.

I think we all tried to "match the numbers" when we first started, but you will soon become exhausted trying to make THAT work!

The really great thing about this site is you can plan your day's food ahead of time. I just keep a good variety of food on hand, and move things around until I get close to my numbers. (On a good day in an ideal world!)

Good luck!
    Cheryl