Kettlebells Help

Options
poustotah
poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
Here's a little about my background. I lost 90 lbs and I got to where I could bench 125 lbs. I move a lot of weight. I'm currently 7 months pregnant and I've scaled back my bench to 80 lbs and am focusing on just maintaining what I've got until after I have the baby. I still work out with a lot of weight though, for legs, biceps, triceps, etc. Well I started using kettlebells and I LOVE the workout. I've been using a 10 lb weight and it seems challenging enough but I feel like I'm going to quickly outgrow that. At any rate, I want to use the kettlebells after I have the baby, while I'm at home. So I have 2 questions:

1. Who has a good DVD that's will give me a good workout, with increasing time intervals. I'd like to have something which I can use to have like a 20 minute interval as I increase my weight and then to increase my time.

2. What weight kettlebells should I order? I'm thinking 10 lb and 15 lb but I'm not sure. I don't want to kill myself on the kettlebells but the 10 lb's seem pretty easy to me. Maybe 15 lb and 20 lb?

Replies

• bstiver
    bstiver Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Jillian Micheals shred with Kettleball is good. The dvd has two levels
  • Nadyasmom
    Nadyasmom Posts: 281
    Options
    I have both the Jillian Michael's Shred it with Weights--it's a shorter workout (about 25 minutes total) with 2 levels, and I have the Bob Harper Kettlebell strength workout. I like his better, but it's much longer (about 50 minutes), so really hard to squeeze in with my little ones.

I have a set of 5, 10, and 15lb bells and I REALLY wish I had a 20. The 15 is great, but I know that I need the 20 for a lot of the double arms swings and such. I use the 10 for a few different moves that are one handed, and the 15 for everything else. I don't even touch the 5 lb one--simply too light.

I say go with a 15 and a 20 since you already have the 10. Then you can pick whichever one up you need for each individual move.
  • jcb2kds
    jcb2kds Posts: 40
    Options
    I would recommend Lauren Brooks line of DVDs. She even has a DVD for pregnant women! Plus she is certified in RKC and has a degree. I have Jillian Michaels' Shred it With Weights, and it's a good workout, but she doesn't use proper form nor does she tell you how to properly execute the moves. I would recommend purchasing JM's after learning the proper form.

Lauren's videos have a section at the beginning where she instructs you on the proper form, which I found very helpful. I have Lauren's first two videos that I purchased/downloaded from her site. The downloaded versions are cheaper than the DVDs and you receive them the next day through email. The first video is a 40 min long workout - 120 seconds on and 60 second breaks - as well as a 12 min fat blaster you can do when short on time. The second video is divided into sections that are about 20 min long each, so you can mix and match the workouts. I haven't tried the Baby Bells DVDs (the prego Kettlebell version), but she is actually pregnant in the videos so I'm sure they are good.

As far as the proper size kettlebell, I'm sure what you are using now is fine, but after giving birth you may want to up the weight to 15 lbs and then move up to 20 lbs. Right now I'm using a 15, but I'm looking into getting a 20 pretty soon. Hope this helps!
  • Kdanielson12
    Options
    I really like 'kettlebell bootcamp' by angie miller. I also have the jillian shred it with weights which is good and the bob harper but my fav is the one by angie miller. I use 10 and 15 lb kettlebells depending on the move.
  • marigolds1
    Options
    Lorna Kleidman's kettlebells for women book is supposed to be amazing--I've had it on my wish list for a couple of months.