Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Frozen shoulder??

last october i was waking up with pain in my right arm, no longer could sleep on that side, could only raise it shoulder height, any bum p was severe pain. Dr said it was a rotator cuff problem, ultrasound was clear, and normal, went to pyshio therapy for 3 months and also tried acupunture, but quit do to the fact i cannot miss that much work, the pain seems to be easing,
i had a cortisone shot last week and it has been 5 days, if anything it seems that bumping the arm or anything is irratating it again!! I am a diabetic as well so a am not able to take anti inflammatory orally!! Please help if anyone has had the same thing, i am sure its frozen shoulder but the lose of range of motion i really need to gain back!!!

Replies

• Armymom44
    Armymom44 Posts: 76
    I just got cortizone shot for bursitis last week got tennis elbow surgery year ago may be from that he gave me steriods for 6 dyas getting better try apply a heating pad it did help bit I know the pain I was in pain for 3 days crying I hate cortizone shots but belive me I wanted it bad try motrin or aleve to hope it gets better . You could walk maybe do lunges exersices you do not use you arm much I know tuff butt better to get some thing in
  • chefchazz
    chefchazz Posts: 427 Member
    wow, ive never heard of that. sorry i couldnt help but i hope it gets better real soon.
  • catniss
    catniss Posts: 326 Member
    My son had similar symptoms--took him to his pediatrician, a sports med dr, physical therapy--and nothing helped. And then I brought him to a chiropractor and his range of motion is almost completely returned. I would totally recommend going to a chiro for an evaluation. And if you don't have one already, ask around and if you go somewhere and don't like them, try another one.

Good luck!
  • VegasKC
    VegasKC Posts: 17
    I had the same symptoms you are describing a few years ago but I injured my cuff by releasing a weight bar too quickly and jerked my shoulder. But it took the most part of a year for the cuff to mend on its own and then no more pain. Do you know what you did to injure it to begin with?
  • BandMom2
    BandMom2 Posts: 64
    I am so sorry to hear that!! I hurt my rotator cuff last year and did many of the things you listed. The only thing that really helped was TIME! I had to stop pushing myself and stop trying to over do. Everyday living caused some pain ( I am a nurse) but I did nothing more than I had to it took about 6-8 months to be able to live without pain a full year before I could go back to the exercises. I may have healed sooner if I had not been so hard headed and laid off it like I was told when I first hurt it. Good luck =/
  • StiringWendel
    StiringWendel Posts: 3,868 Member
    I am very familiar with frozen shoulder. Mine froze as a result of an injury (dislocation). I'd rather dislocate my shoulder again almost any day over experiencing the pain of it freezing, so you have my complete sympathy with the pain.

Here are a couple suggestions. You need to get back to a physical therapist so they can give you some exercises to keep the mobility you have in the shoulder. I saw a PT twice a week for a number of months. I did the exercises they recommended religiously, even though they hurt. I also iced my shoulder and heated it repeatedly after all of my exercises. That is how I got through mine, but it took months (over a year) before my arm wasn't painful to the touch anymore. And I did the exercises every day for about two years. But I was able to be functional after just a few months of PT.

There is a surgical option for frozen shoulder, and I know somebody who did it. I am not a good candidate for the surgery because I don't have full range of motion in my shoulders (even before the frozen shoulder). You might be a good candidate. The person I know who did it had great success. So talk to a doctor about this option if you think it might be the best thing for you.

The worst thing you can do is to NOT work the range of motion in that shoulder. It hurts. I understand that, and even typing about it right now brings back that pain (it's been five years for me now since I had it). But the worst thing you can do is to lose more mobility. Some cases of frozen shoulder get so bad that people aren't even able to do simple things like put on deoderant, and I don't think you want to be going there.

Hope this helps. There is light at the end of the tunnel.....it just takes some time with this problem. But I'm back to lifting weights and doing much of what I was able to do pre-frozen shoulder. And the pain does get better as long as you continue to work that arm as much as you can.

Take care and I hope this gets better for you!
  • No i do not know what caused it, it was kind of gradual, i was doing minimal weight about 10 lbs every other day along with running and aerobics. It started as losing sleep and painful nights, pain reaching in the backseat of the car, putting a seatbelt on , i have tried the chiropractor to, they to said range of motion is not good and keep up with exercises, i was hoping the cortisone would help, the dr said i may need 2 more shots over the next few months! He did say when giving me the shot that inserting the needle was a bit tough so th sac in my shoulder was a bit calcified i think he said?