Warm Up With Cardio, Then Go To Weights. Right? or Wrong?

Options
Read this article today on yahoo and I was wondering what your thoughts are? I have heard both arguments, but would like to switch up my workout. Any thoughts of what this article claims?

http://www.thepostgame.com/blog/training-day/201104/warm-cardio-then-go-weights-right-wrong

Replies

• beastmode_kitty
    beastmode_kitty Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    I heard its better if you do weights then cardio simply because when you do the cardio it gets more oxygen to your muscles after working out.
  • YMTaylor
    YMTaylor Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    My two cents: What the article says is exactly what the trainers at my gym say. I change up what I do every so often and how long but that order is what I follow.
  • ubabe1
    ubabe1 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I follow Jillian Michaels' method...strength, cardio, abs...works for me!!!
  • Jayni40
    Jayni40 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I agree with a 10 min warmup then weights. Then a good cardio workout.
  • babygurl48
    babygurl48 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    I heard its better if you do weights then cardio simply because when you do the cardio it gets more oxygen to your muscles after working out.
    that's what i heard too.
  • carolynmittens
    Options
    it's important to warm up before any workout, only 5-10 mins is necessary though. i do cardio before and (the majority) after strength training.
  • FairyMiss
    FairyMiss Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    I think thats how i used to do it years ago, hvent been lately , should probably go back to that method when able to get back
  • beastmode_kitty
    beastmode_kitty Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    I find since Ive been doing the weights then cardio, that Im getting more definition in my muscles now :)
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    I believe the idea of a warm up is to get your body moving, and limber. It shouldn't be extreme, or you will use up all your energy stores on your warm up, then you won't get as much out of the weights. I usually don't do a cardio warm up, but I will do a few sets of lighter weight at the beginning of a workout as a warmup.
  • ematagi
    ematagi Posts: 9
    Options
    Thank you MFP family for your input, very helpful.