Weight training

Options
Does anyone know why weight training does not appear to burn any calories according to MFP or why it doesn't count towards your exercise time for the day.

Thanks

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,059 Member
    Options
    Different intensities and weights affect the outcome/burn.

The weights section is just a "notes" area for you to track your reps and weight.

Log the calories burned under cardio/strength training.
  • nacobi
    nacobi Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I am very upset about the strength training not counting towards your calorie burn. It should count, you work just as hard or harder depending on how long you train and what you are training. They need to change that.
  • cmbneeley
    cmbneeley Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    under the cardio section, it has an option to list strength training as an exercise that gives you a calorie burn. the strength training section is just a notes section so you can keep track of exactly what you've done to strength train.
  • Taznmb1
    Taznmb1 Posts: 15
    Options
    It does but you need to put Strength training (weight lifting, weight training) 60 Minutes burns 432 calorie's
  • DeniseGdz
    DeniseGdz Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    AHA! I was wondering about that too, since I lift 3 x week!
  • PrincessBTits
    Options
    I just realized last night that it didn`t count unless I added it under cardio, so I have to go back and adjust my exercise reports to reflect the lifting.

Yay weight lifting!
  • Kimrenaud
    Kimrenaud Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Does anyone know why weight training does not appear to burn any calories according to MFP or why it doesn't count towards your exercise time for the day.

Thanks

Yeah thats my question too? Thanks for asking
  • Kimrenaud
    Kimrenaud Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    go into exercise add weight strenth training it will show it there
  • new_me_9_67
    new_me_9_67 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Thank you all. great information I hope it helped others as well
  • new_me_9_67
    Options
    Thank you all. great information I hope it helped others as well
  • outersoul
    outersoul Posts: 711
    Options
    From the FAQ:

Q. Doesn't strength training burn calories? Why don't you show any calories burned for strength training?

A. Estimating the calories burned from strength training is very difficult because it depends on a variety of factors: how much weight you lifted per repetition, how vigorously you performed that exercise, how much rest you took between sets, etc. Because of this, we do not automatically calculate how many calories you burned from strength training exercises.

However, if you'd like, you can add "Strength training" as a cardio exercise to get a rough estimate of how many calories you burned. Please be aware though that this is definitely a rough estimate and can be fairly inaccurate.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/faq
  • new_me_9_67
    Options
    I'll be wearing my HRM next time and see how far off the calculations are.
    didn't think about it before.

Thanks Outersoul that makes a lot of sense.
  • outersoul
    outersoul Posts: 711
    Options
    No problem!