Fast food??

Options
My family has Mcdonalds every friday. I wanted to know if anyone else does that and if you try to get that burger on special treat in your calorie count without going over. I managed to get a burger in and still be under my calorie count. Let me know if that's okay to do, because if not (if you had already read my last post I'M FEELING LIKE HAVING A BURGER!
:grumble:

Replies

• Vanessa82
    Options
    My family has Mcdonalds every friday. I wanted to know if anyone else does that and if you try to get that burger on special treat in your calorie count without going over. I managed to get a burger in and still be under my calorie count. Let me know if that's okay to do, because if not (if you had already read my last post I'M FEELING LIKE HAVING A BURGER!
    :grumble:
  • bj2007
    bj2007 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Have the southwestern chicken salad instead!
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    Well, I think what is "OK" is all relative. I mean, I don't eat fast food very often just because I prefer to cook and eat things at home. But I will have McDonalds on occasion. I usually choose the salads, but if I was craving a burger, I would probably opt for the regular old small hamburger. There is no law against eating those kinds of foods. It's just about making wise portion choices and not letting it become a regular habit again.

The thing about fast food is that it is usually pretty high in fat/calories/sodium, etc., so it isn't a good choice ALL the time. The regular hamburger is 250 calories, 9 g fat and 520 g sodium. Have that with a side salad maybe, and it isn't a horrible meal at all. The 4 piece chicken nuggets have more sodium, so if we do go to McDonalds, I will get a regular hamburger for my son.

Also, if you completely deprive yourself, then it makes you want things more which may lead to you going back to that way of eating again.

So, I guess as long as you can stay in control and have it be once in awhile then so be it! :)
  • Vanessa82
    Options
    I know I'm not going out there to get a double big mac or anything crazy like that. I'll just get my husband to get me the ceasar salad with chicken and I'm going to use my vinagratte dressing I have from home.
    Friut parfait sound nice too
    Thanks everyone!
  • elliebuell
    Options
    I got the Southwest grilled chicken salad the other day and was pretty happy with it, it tasted good and the amount was very filling. Sometimes I'll get a happy meal - the portions are right and my daughter loves that she gets a second toy.
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    I usually get the grilled chicken caesar with the low fat balsamic dressing. VERY GOOD and filling!!
  • firegirlred
    firegirlred Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    MMMMMM. Happy meal..... Now I want french fries and a toy.
  • michlingle
    michlingle Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    I have 1 small hamburger per week...kills the craving for more!
  • vickyt
    vickyt Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    If you really want to have a burger, get the cheesebuger or the hamburger they have have on the value menu, they are smaller, but OH so good, satisfies the craving.....
    mmmmm..... mc donalds! haha enjoy your meal:wink:
  • faithstephenson
    faithstephenson Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Our family always gets Wendy's on the way home from church on Sundays. I've switched to getting a salad (the mandarin chicken one is awesome) most of the time. But every once in a while I do get a craving for my current favorite...the Baconator. So, only once in a great while, I get it. But I cut it in half first. Nowadays, I might even cut it a bit smaller, and then get a side salad too. I find that if I can have the taste, that satisfies me, even if it's not much of it. But if I always deny that craving, I'm more likely to splurge and not have the control to limit the amount I eat. Then I feel bad...literally and figuratively.
  • petunia
    petunia Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I agree with a few of the others here... If you're hungry for it, it's better to eat something responsible (like a cheeseburger) and satisfy your craving, then to deprive yourself and end up 'falling off the wagon' later...

cheeseburger:
    300 calories

fruit and yogurt parfait:
    160 calories

Satisfy your craving for 460 calories:
    PRICELESS

:bigsmile:
  • chubbymom
    chubbymom Posts: 164
    Options
    Guilty.

We eat out way too much. Not only is it NOT healthy it's expensive. So...I know starting here is going to help me cook at home and when we do eat out I know not to eat alot. I got my calorie King book today at the book store and love it. My favorite place is Taco Bell. I now know if I have a craving I can just get 1 taco and be done. :0)

But...overall I need to stop eating out. The sodium kills me.
  • obliged
    obliged Posts: 465
    Options
    i dont eat out that much, i occasionally get a lunch from uni (usually two sushi rolls and a bit of soy sauce)
    but other than that the only other place i eat at beside home is subway
    but that doesnt mean i dont spurge at home, like today i wanted chips so i got a packet but i've limited myself and weighed just to make sure,
    its all mostly about portion control when trying to satisfy certain cravings
  • dothompson
    dothompson Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    Our family always gets Wendy's on the way home from church on Sundays. I've switched to getting a salad (the mandarin chicken one is awesome) most of the time. But every once in a while I do get a craving for my current favorite...the Baconator. So, only once in a great while, I get it. But I cut it in half first. Nowadays, I might even cut it a bit smaller, and then get a side salad too. I find that if I can have the taste, that satisfies me, even if it's not much of it. But if I always deny that craving, I'm more likely to splurge and not have the control to limit the amount I eat. Then I feel bad...literally and figuratively.

My standard Wendy's order is a small chili and a side salad with reduced fat ranch. Yummy!
  • dothompson
    dothompson Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    I think it's going to be important to my long term success to have a standard order at a variety of restaurants each which you know is safe. I've lost 120 pounds once and I've had 30# creep back on and I can tell you that maintence is hard and options help.
  • chubbymom
    chubbymom Posts: 164
    Options
    Oh....I love love Wendy's Chili!!! Low cal and so yum yum!