Can you suggest a simple cardio exercise for limited space a

Options
I have a very small apartment, limited time and limited space. I used a weighted hula hoop for 30 minutes a day and I'm looking for something else I can do in front of the t.v. while catching up on the news. Is jogging in place an effective cardio workout? I can't bring any equipment into the house right now. Any other suggestions?

Replies

• james3302
    james3302 Posts: 119
    Options
    You can do squat thrusts, then work your way up to burpees. Or do a circuit of body weight exercises such as pushups, squats and crunches. For example do 10 pushups, 10 squats, 15 crunches, then repeat with no rest between.
  • Angela4Health
    Angela4Health Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    Jogging in place is certainly better than simply sitting and watching tv, but it really doesn't burn as many calories as you might think it would. I have tried it, LOL. You don't burn nearly as many as when you are actually jogging. I do step aerobics and Turbo Fire and neither of them take up very much space. Buying a step opens up a lot more opportunities for just getting in a bit of exercise while watching tv! In fact, I burned almost 300 calories tonight while watching Criminal Minds with my step.
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    A variation of jogging in place called high knees really works up my heart rate and I feel it is a very good workout.

put your arms at your side the bend them 90degrees out front with your elbows at the low point. 'jog' in place but make it so each knee as you life the leg up goes high enough to reach your palm out in front of you. it sounds easy enough but takes a good bit of effort and you can notice as the minutes wear on your 'high knees' become medium and low knees :smile:
  • rosec005
    rosec005 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Jumping jacks, jumping rope (without the rope), punches, and butt kicks are all used in 30 Day Shred.Mountain climbers are also good.
  • spitfire1962
    spitfire1962 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I like Jillian Michaels workouts. Most of them are circuit training and you don't need much room to do them. The videos are about $10.00 each, but they are so amazing!
  • kittyloo123
    kittyloo123 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    i would think that jogging would be great cardio workout.
  • maserati185
    maserati185 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Jogging in place while watching tv is where I started with my exercising. It may not burn a lot of calories if you're doing it for 10 minutes... but if you watch say,a 30 minute show or a whole movie jogging in place, whereas you wouldn't have done anything but sit... I think that's a pretty effective workout. It was for me.

Another thing - they make compact stair stepper machines... as well as ellipticals. I can't say that I've tried either, but have considered buying both because supposedly they get the heart rate up, but take up minimal space, can be moved fairly easily, etc.
  • CallejaFairey
    CallejaFairey Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    look on youtube for Leslie Sansone videos, she does walking workouts, and they are great for limited space, once you watch them a few times you know exactly what to do and can do it while watching tv
  • luppic8
    luppic8 Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    Running in plce is a great workout. Jumping jacks and other callisthetics (don't know if I spelled that correctly) are good to do too!
  • jenbusick
    jenbusick Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I do jogging in place with my Wii Fit for 30-60 minutes most nights, and it has done very well for me, although it doesn't burn as many calories as jogging all over the place.
  • abellante_0205
    abellante_0205 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    can anyone suggest any workouts that I could do (I have paralysis below the knees but i walk with the use of braces), I know my limitations and my doctors are okay with me working out so thats no issue at all, but my issue is, I don't know what else to do besides exercise bike, walking, swimming (when its warm out again), and the wii stuff, and I am trying to tone up my stomach... Its driving me NUTS!
  • funkyspunky871
    funkyspunky871 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    I'd do a playing card workout. Take a deck of 52 cards and assign a cardio move to each suit. You can pick cardio moves that will work for your limited amount of space. (Jumping jacks, punches, kicks, squats, jump rope without a rope, etc.) Then, shuffle the deck and draw a card from the top. If you've assigned spades to be jumping jacks and you draw a five of spades, you would need to complete five jumping jacks before you can draw another card. Go through the entire deck just the same way; it should take anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour. I usually burn 500+ calories with a single game :) Hope that made sense. You can also incorporate strength training with the cardio. Let a suit represent bicep curls or overhead presses with dumbbells.
  • funkyspunky871
    funkyspunky871 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    Double post! :smokin:
  • abellante_0205
    abellante_0205 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    interesting thanks for that card idea
  • delilah122
    Options
    thanks, everyone! Some great ideas there! I can't wait to try something new!