Broken foot cant excersize - what can i do besides starve?

Options
I am on crutches with pins in my foot. I have lost a little weight so far but all I do all day is fantasize about my next meal or snack. The counting has helped immensly but as I am sedentary I am down to very low calories and its killing me!!!

Replies

• BigGail
    BigGail Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    You poor thing! It's hard work trying to walk on crutches, so I should imagine you're burning a few cals there! You can still do weights on your top half or chair aerobics, basically anything that gets you moving in any way will get your heart rate elevated. Check out youtube for some seated exercise ideas. Hope you recover soon - remember to take care of you and try not to do too much though. x
  • bunnysone
    bunnysone Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    sounds like a fantastic opportunity for some upper body training! How about simple, light weights with high numbers of repetitions either in bicep curls, overhead presses or lifting your arms out to the side? I have no idea how fit you were before the injury, but if you have some strength in your arms (and possibly somebody to help you!) try pushups with your legs on a swiss ball or possibly even you may manage a modified row on a rowing machine?

Instead of free weights, try using cable weights at the gym if you can or some of the upper body weights machines.

This is the time to stay positive, focused on your training and come through this hurdle. Hurdles are put in front of us to make us stronger, and every time we overcome one we find it easier to leap the next xx

Good luck with your training, remember that the weight will fall off anyway if you focus on being fitter and healthier rather than just "I must lose weight" xx
  • Delphi
    Delphi Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a perfect time for strength training and core training. Hand in there. Drink lots of water to curb cravings. Good luck!
  • hellen72
    hellen72 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    We have an arm cycle at the gym, u sit down and just use arms, could be ideal if u can find one
  • jenfunfur
    jenfunfur Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Totally agree with doing upper body workouts, every little but counts :)
    As you get more used to the crutches try a 10min walk couple of times a day, burns more calories than normal walking & the fresh air will stop you from getting fed up. Try to remain positive, i've been on crutches many times but it's never stopped me from getting about & doing stuff. You just have to make some adaptations to your routine :)
  • JellyJaks
    JellyJaks Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    Drinking water helps with my cravings. Snacking healthy is a big help too. When I want something sweet I try to grab fruit. Way better for you and doesn't make you feel like you're starving yourself.

So far as exercise, I agree that strength training concentrating on your upper body is a good idea. Or you could do housework LOL. I actually burn quite a few calories a day just folding laundry and doing dishes.
  • SueGeer
    SueGeer Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    I had same problem end of last year.....foot op so in plaster for 7 weeks. Wasn't on MFP then so no support :sad: Piled on loads of weight which I'm really struggling to lose. Walking on crutches is in the cardio exercise list :laugh:

Best wishes for a speedy recovery :flowerforyou:

Sue :smile: x
  • jlbay
    jlbay Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Don't give in! I injured my knee last year just after building back to running 3x a week and losing down to my lowest weight in 5 years. I was so depressed I ate and gained all my weight back. I WISH I had kept logging my calories and worked on stretching, upper body strength, and core strength. You could have some nice solid core muscles and defined shoulders and arms and keep the weight off or even lose a few pounds.

Don't do what I did! I gave in to eating and not exercising - it wasn't worth it! Good luck and best wishes for a speedy recovery. Injuries suck!
  • misha7
    misha7 Posts: 7
    Options
    Thanks so much for that - you have all definately given me inspiration. I will get the pins out soon and wont have to have it elevated so much so I will be able to try the upper body stuff - and I think the rowing machine. Hopping on the crutches is hard work - I didn't realise how weak my arms were. I have never worked out or done much in the way of cardio so it will be a challenge. Please feel free to add me as the support really makes a huge difference :happy:
  • skinnyb450
    skinnyb450 Posts: 288
    Options
    Aww...so sorry to hear that your have broken your foot - that is aweful!!! :( Yes if I were in that situation I would still log all my food- try to pick healthy choices - drink lots of water - do upper body work outs - maybe look for some upper body - weight DVD"s to stay motivated - I injured my calf about 4 weeks ago and I sort of know how it feels to not be able to exercise fully - it is very frustrating - Good luck and try and stay positive - When do you get your cast off? After it is off you might be able to try swimming as an exercise - Hang in there - :):smile::smile: :smile:
  • emma2309
    emma2309 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I can completely sympathize with you. I only got off crutches last week after 9months of them. (I had a broken foot and a bit of bone got lodged into another bone and after a lonnnng time I finally got surgery so they removed the bone fragment and reattatched a ligament to the bone)

I totally understand the frustration, I used to go for speed crutching around the block - it's like going for a run and strength training at the same time, make sure you don't get blisters on your hands though! You look like a maniac but it's a damn good workout!
    The only other thing really that suited me was shadow boxing....all upper body work but at least it's something!

Good Luck and I hope you get off them soon!

x