Emotional Eating

bjshields
bjshields Posts: 677 Member
edited September 26 in Motivation and Support
My hubby & I were talking about this yesterday. Why is it that being upset or frustrated makes us want to eat crap? I had a VERY bad eating day yesterday, and a big part of it was emotional eating. The stress of a 5-hour drive turning into an 8-hour drive did not help, either.

Anybody else have some insight as to what that emotional/eating connection is and how to deal with it?

Replies

• Amandac6772
    Amandac6772 Posts: 1,311 Member
    I've been trying to figure that link out for a while now. My husband and I are under tremendous stress right now. He's been out of work for 2.5 years but luckily was able to go back to school. Our dear governor has cut out all extended unemployment benefits so when he graduates he has about 3 weeks to find a job in this economy. His dad was also diagnosed with cancer. We have been doing terrible with our eating lately because of the stress.
  • bjshields
    Oh, my goodness, Amanda! I'm so sorry. That is a TON of stress, and good grief, I would be eating everything that wasn't nailed down if I were you all. Will definitely say some prayers for you all.
  • aquasw16
    aquasw16 Posts: 342 Member
    I know exactly how you feel. I think a lot of us suffer from this. I find myself thinking immediately when I am quickly stressed or something bad happens about eating junk (going to McDonalds, going to buy a package of candy etc). I think the most important thing is to have a support system. INstead of eating, call someone, talk to someone, keep yourself busy- or just eat something lwo in calories that is healthy like a fruit, veggie, light popcorn.
  • HI, I'm new and I believe I am an emotional eater as well. Stress is one of my triggers. There are times I have to stop myself and think about what I am doing because I truly believe emotional eating is a disconnected behavior. It's my way of not feeling those emotions or not dealing with the stress and underlying causes. I try to refocus my thoughts by asking if I am really hungry or if there is something else that is bothering me. The hardest thing for me is driving by all the restaurants when I am wanting to eat to feel better. I have to remind myself if I binge and lose control then I won't feel better once I acknowledge what I've done. Plus with the cost of gas and eating out I've tried to focus on the money and saving it instead of spending it on food on my way home from work. I tell myself if I wait until I get home I can decide to get that food I want so bad right now. This technique has worked because by the time I get to my house I've talked myself out of eating the food and I feel good about saving the money.
  • fancythis
    fancythis Posts: 20
    I tend to do the same, and I also eat when I'm bored. There's something comforting about eating that kind of food (for me, it's usually fast food) because there's something that makes me think it'll make me feel better. It's soooooo good when you eat it, and then it feels awful.

I will admit I don't really understand the "why" part of it, I'm just trying to take it one instance at a time and really use my willpower/reasoning/'better judgement. Or, if that doesn't work, at least pick something a little better than a double big mac, like mike & ikes.
  • bjshields
    I learned something interesting today from Jonny Bowden (master nutritionist and author). I was listening to "9 Essential Steps to Weight Loss" (it's a CD), and he said when we're stressed, cortisol is released in our systems; cortisol then makes us crave carbs and sugar. So those stress-related calories we're eating have a biological basis, not just an emotional/psychological one. It may or may not help in the future, but it helps me to know what's going on at least.
This discussion has been closed.