question for mothers

Options
Anyone else have the problem of leaking a little when exercising? Jumping jacks and other high impact exercises like jumping jacks, I leak a little. and hate doing them. but its what the video says to do, and I can really feel the burn.

Its the only time this happens. when I was pregnant I had the normal problem when you laughed too hard or sneezed. but my kids are now 3 and 19 months. and only time I have this problem is when exercising.

Any suggestions?

Replies

• schninie82
    schninie82 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    1. Make sure you go the toilet before you start exercising
    2. Exercise your pelvic floor muscles...google how to do it

Good luck
  • mazomama
    mazomama Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    i ALWAYS make my self try to go to the bathroom before i work out. even if i dont feel like i need to go! After four kids i think my bladder is just super weak!
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    Yes, to start with. When I started running it was awful. The more abs exercises you do, the better it gets, though.
  • Furrytreats
    Furrytreats Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. Mine is sporadic as well and doesn't matter if my bladder is empty. I can do deadlifts and be completely fine, then I go to stand up from a chair an hour later and leak. No rhyme or reason for it. I had testing done last month and I was referring to a urologist to see about a "sling" that holds the bladder up to prevent that. I've heard a lot of people have good success, I still have to weigh the pros and cons to see if it's something that would be right for me. If your leakage is severe ask your doctor about it.
  • Asomething
    Asomething Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain 3 kiddos and a weak bladder to start with!
    The exercises are called "kegels". Like the other poster said, just google them. Be consistent about doing them - and they will help!
    And if all else fails - wear panty liners during exercise!!
  • stitcherbeth
    Options
    I am there with you, and it is only during the jumping and harder things. I try to exercise as early in the day as possible, before I start drinking 12 oz of water per hour. That helps. If I try to do high impact past noontime, I am in trouble.
  • MirandaDeCrane
    MirandaDeCrane Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I've had 3 kids, so I TOTALLY feel you! I actually got on our trampoline yesterday and *tried* to jump...yeah-big mistake! LOL

Panty liners???
  • lnosgood
    lnosgood Posts: 92
    Options
    You might also try doing some keegal exercises when you're at work or just sitting around. That will help strengthen your muscles so you wont have that problem. I had that problem a lot when i was in High School and Middle School. The keegal exercises really helped
  • jellyfishjen
    jellyfishjen Posts: 1,787 Member
    Options
    Hand up in the air. Me too. Toilet before doesn't always help once I start jumping or through a long class. Know you are not alone, many of my friends confess the same and we are of all ages. Pelvic floor exercises, may have helped a bit. But wearing a pad gives me more confidence to continue exercising.
  • ktieman
    ktieman Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Same problem here; after having two ten pound babies, the bladder take a beating. It gets better with the more weight you lose though. I have went from a full size poise pad to the liner style pads.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    Are keegle exercises just regular pelvic floor exercises?
  • mabear74
    mabear74 Posts: 248
    Options
    YES!!!!! I've had 6 kids. It drives me totally insane! I avoid jumping jacks, for some reason these are the absolute worst for me.
  • Nataliethin81
    Options
    Kegels are the answer! I have the same problem after 2 and I hate it.
  • bjshields
    bjshields Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I had that problem after my third baby; Kegels took care of it for me. It also can lead to better orgasms (Kegels, not leaking!).:happy:
  • Crystal_Rudolph
    Crystal_Rudolph Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I am so with you!!! I agree with the above posters...kegals, empty bladder, nothing to drink at least an hour before you workout, and a thin panty liner. Plus as silly as it sounds, I simply make fun of myself in my head. I tell myself "every leak is a proud leak for my three beautiful daughters", especially since two of the girls are only 10 months apart!!!
  • eatingmysandshoe
    Options
    If none of the above works, go to your doc - they should have a continence physiotherapist they can refer you to. They can check you're doing your pelvic floor/kegel exercises correctly, and give you further exercises to try to improve your situation, or start the process of referring you for a surgical procedure if nothing else works. Good luck!
  • cpumeu
    cpumeu Posts: 89
    Options
    as you already heard kegels...but also doing pilates. it builds your core and the strengthens the pelvic floor. I am the same way but only when I sneeze or laugh too hard. Pilates has helped as has kegels!
  • theresnoeggs
    theresnoeggs Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Go to your doc, stress incontinence is VERY common in mothers. It's a very simple procedure to fix, according to a friend who had it done. :flowerforyou:
  • IamOnMywayNow
    IamOnMywayNow Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I hate doing any kind of jumping because of leaking!!!! But i saw on Oprah that if you use a tampon while excercising it will push your bladder up and you wont leak. It really does work!!!!
  • up2me2lose20
    up2me2lose20 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I was too embarassed to admit to this, but now I see that others were/are in the same predicament. But to be honest, this only happened to me the first few weeks in which I began these intense exercise/training sessions. At this point it doesn't happen to me anymore. I must have strengthened those pelvic muscles enough. :) I'd almost forgotten that that this was a problem. Thanks for reminding me of another accomplishment/goal that has been achieved.

And my "baby" is 11. So it's been a LONG time since I had any birthing experiences, lol.