Tweaking your foods to give you proper nutrition

dave4d
dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
I have the app on my phone. As I plan my meals I try to find ways to go in the red on my vitamins, and important nutrients, while I aim to go under on things like sugars, saturated fats, and sodium. If I find I am low in iron on my plan, then I try to eat a food that is higher in iron to get me to that goal, same with all the vitamins, protein, and potassium. Does anyone else do this?

Replies

• Kirsty_UK
    Kirsty_UK Posts: 964 Member
    Definitely - like yesterday I was over on every thing except calories, fat and carbs, so I went out for ice cream :laugh:

Seriously though, yes, I'm trying. Not worrying much about going over on protein, but I did find out I am under eating on vit C and iron, so working hard on that now. Trouble is a lot of the database foods only have the "important stuff" logged and not the vitamins etc.
  • bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Yep.
    On good days, I'm pretty close to my goal and see what I'm lacking as far as carbs/protein/fat goes.

Theres been days when I needed carbs and fat so I let myself have a bowl of ice cream.
    Some days I end up eating tuna to get extra protein.
    And I've eaten a few spoonfuls of peanut butter before when I just needed some extra cals/fats.
  • Kirsty_UK
    Kirsty_UK Posts: 964 Member
    ps My view is that anyone only looking at calorie intake is probably not going to be having a very healthy diet. I'm here to learn better eating habits, not just stick to a calorie target.

Really struggling with the iron though.
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    I do struggle with iron. I eat a ton of spinach, and still struggle getting enough iron in my diet. I also hate it when all the information isn't in the database. I noticed with my peanut butter, it doesn't list polyunsaturated fats, or monounsaturated fats, but skippy doesn't give that information on the jar either. It blows me away when I see something has 10 grams of fat, and only 2 saturated, but doesn't tell you how much is made up in the other fats.