Is it an obsession or a psychological addiction?

Options
amarie35
amarie35 Posts: 338 Member
I think when the majority of us joined MFP, we did it to look, feel, & be more healthier indivduals. We accomplish these goals by logging our foods & exercises daily. We log everyday for months & months on end. But, what do we do when we finally reach our goals? Are we suppose to keep logging everything, everyday, for the rest of our lives?

I joined MFP in January & since then have lost 15 pounds. I reached my goal weight about a month ago & recently decided that I wanted to lose another 5 pounds. But, to tell you the truth, I'm about sick of having to log in everything I eat. I see certain foods that I'd love to have & can't because I'll have to log it in & risk a chance of going over on my calories. So, I set my goal to maintain. Makes since to me, especially since I've already reached my original goal weight. But still, even though I have more calories to consume, the fact that I still have to log in everything, makes me CRAZY.

Am I becoming overly obsessed with calorie counting or is this just a symptom of MFP addiction?

Replies

• bethrs
    bethrs Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    I think some people will need to continue to log and others will have figured out how to eat healthy and have a rough estimate of their calories and won't need to log.

It sounds like you are focused on your calorie goals but hate logging. If you look at a cupcake and know in your head its 300 calories you don't have is it really the logging stoping you from eating it or is it that knowledge? If you quit logging for a week would you eat indiscriminately?

I think these are the questions...
  • bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    Hopefully its just temporary. It's easy to obssess over numbers though.
    Nothing wrong with maintaining, just throw in some weight training and working on changing your body composition.
    You can always improve your physique without seeing a significant change in numbers.

Great job hitting your goal weight. You look good.
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    Life after MFP? That's just CRAZY TALK! :laugh:

Just kiddin', o' course. ;)

I think it just comes down to taking mental notes, being comfortable with your new portion sizes and continuing to educate yourself about foods and activities. Not sure there is a one-size-fits-all approach to weening off. I'm sure the community will have some excellent advice, though. :D

I, personally, intend to stick with it as long as I have the time and inclination after reaching goal. I'll know if/when I'm ready to split. Maybe having the app on your phone is easier?