Net Calories need help

Options
Goal Food Exercise = Net
1360 1390 - 562 828

Ok, above is what my ticker says. This is after eating a lot of food for the day. Is my net cals to low? I plan on walking 5 miles tonight, and I am eating above my goal calorie limit by 30 cals. Does your net have to be at 1200 to lose weight? I have lost quite a bit of weight using MFP during my first few months here (but that was almost a year ago). I gained 5lbs of that back, during the holidays and getting engaged and all that, and now am trying to lose weight again. I have lost 8 inches this past month but I haven't lost a pound. So I am wondering if this has to do with my Net calories. Please let me know what you can about this :)

Replies

• Beebs33
    Beebs33 Posts: 262
    Options
    Your net calories are what you should be eating to lose weight per MFP. So if you are supposed to eat 1400 calories and exercise 500 calories then your net is at 900 calories. Some people say to eat all exercise calories back. I normally do not but I get my net calories to at least 1200 because your body needs those nutrients. Everybody's body is different so you will have to experiment. I had to start eating more to lose weight once I hit my plateau and it took over 2 weeks of eating more to start dropping pounds again. Listen to your body.
  • kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    What Beebs33 said about net calories... I just want to add.. if you aren't losing weight its time to switch things up... 1200 calories is too low for quite a few people once you lose wieght, you must start eating more to lose the last bit of weight. If you exercise, you MUST subtract your exercise calories from your "net calories" the new number you get is your new "net" calories... its incredibly important to keep that at atleast 1200.

Read the link in my signature... also you can search the forum boards for more answers, this is a common question.
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    Your NET calories (on your home page) should be as close to the daily goal MFP set for you as possible.

Your REMAINING calories (on your food diary page) should be as close to zero as possible.

MFP builds in a deficit for you based on the information you gave it: height, weight, lifestyle, goal weight loss, etc.). All you need to do is follow the calorie goals it gives you.
  • Beebs33
    Beebs33 Posts: 262
    Options
    What Beebs33 said about net calories... I just want to add.. if you aren't losing weight its time to switch things up... 1200 calories is too low for quite a few people once you lose wieght, you must start eating more to lose the last bit of weight. If you exercise, you MUST subtract your exercise calories from your "net calories" the new number you get is your new "net" calories... its incredibly important to keep that at atleast 1200.

Read the link in my signature... also you can search the forum boards for more answers, this is a common question.

To add one more thing since kimmeroze made me think of it...if you do not eat enough one day and you feel okay but you are starving the next day...it's a good possibility it is because you did not eat enough the day before. Does that make sense to you? My husband went through that where he would eat enough then be a little bit hungry still but not eat anymore because he didn't want to eat back any of his exercise calories...then he was just starving the next day.