Interesting Article Cardio/Weights

Nikkerz620
Nikkerz620 Posts: 212 Member
edited September 26 in Fitness and Exercise
I saw this and thought I would share.
Interesting to say the least since I always do cardio then weights.

I'm def going to look into this further. :flowerforyou:

Enjoy!

http://www.thepostgame.com/blog/training-day/201104/warm-cardio-then-go-weights-right-wrong

Replies

• DrAlbin
    DrAlbin Posts: 25
    I was writing a post quoting the exact same article. Good stuff.
  • bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    repost.

haha.

good article though.
  • Nysie5
    Nysie5 Posts: 215 Member
    HHMM, I MIGHT JUST HAVE TO TRY THIS
  • ramseyrose
    ramseyrose Posts: 421 Member
    Thanks for posting that, very interesting..
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,313 Member
    It strikes me as more of an opinion piece since no actual hard research is cited. I would have much preferred something with actual studies to stand on rather than just this. Whether it really makes a difference or not I have no idea. I have always done weights then cardio when I did long duration steady state cardio.
  • Amandac6772
    Amandac6772 Posts: 1,311 Member
    I've been doing the oppsite because I burn more calories if I do cardio first and then the weights. If it's calories in and calories out then this is what works for me.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,313 Member
    I've been doing the oppsite because I burn more calories if I do cardio first and then the weights. If it's calories in and calories out then this is what works for me.

Logically it makes sense to do weights first then cardio, but logic and actual effects don't always go hand in hand. If your pattern works for you, keep it up. I used to do the opposite, but now I do very little long duration steady state cardio at all as Intervals and Metabolic Weight Training do a lot more for burning fat than long duration cardio, even though the cardio in the short term looks like it burn more calories, the amount burned after finishing exercise is much higher with High Intensity Intervals and Metabolic Resistance Training. While with cardio your metabolic rate is raised for maybe at most a couple of hours, with Intervals and MRT it can stay raised as much as 36 or even 38 hours later. Again, what works for your schedule is what is important.
This discussion has been closed.