confused on calorie intake... help please!

Options
My doctor put me on a 1200 calorie/ day diet. Does that mean I should eat 1200 calories total? Or 1200 net calories? I'm asking because it seems when I work out & eat only 1200 calories total, I am starving! I did that last week & lost 2.2 lbs. If I'm supposed to intake 1200 calories & burn 300 calories from exercise, should I be eating 1200 or 1500 calories? Thanks!

Replies

• beccala18
    beccala18 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    If your doctor put you on specific diet, I'd talk to them about it. They'd know what would be best for your health.
  • lilmissy2
    lilmissy2 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    You should eat back your exercise calories. Your doctor probably was suggesting 1200 total but that's because most don't have much idea about what is realistic or even what works. As long as you are losing weight, your doctor will be happy.
  • AdamATGATT
    AdamATGATT Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    Please go here and read the links: www.shouldieatmyexercisecalories.com

And most doctors don't know a heck of a lot about nutrition.

If you burn 300, and want to remain around 1200 net calories, you need to eat 1500 calories.
  • CFAITH_WARD
    CFAITH_WARD Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    If you are "starving" perhapts you aren't eating enough veggies or too high calorie foods.....Alot of people eat back like half their exercise calories and feel just fine...maybe try eating like 1350...that would give you an extra snack...oh and maybe up your protein....protein feels you up and gives good energy.
  • fab125
    fab125 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I'll check into that site. I'm eating lots of veggies, but maybe not enough protein. 1200 calories doesn't go a long way! My doctor didn't give me any guidelines other than "eat 1200 calories", so I wasn't sure.