Jillian Micheal's 30 Day Shred frightens me...

Options
Yeah..
I finally got it downloaded and watched a little bit. This chick's gonna kill me.

How did y'all manage it when you first started Day 1?

(Mind you, I'm still huge so I can't even do 10 push ups and she's gonna have me doing 23049823!! D:)

Replies

• HeatherMarie1174
    Options
    I thought the exact same thing!! She is tough, but do what you can without pushing yourself too much. It will get easier ...
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    It's not scary once you get on and commit yourself, but in all honesty, I found it so boring I gave up after 4 days and decided to stick with my classes and running. I just don't think exercise DVDs are for me.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    I did my first day of the shred yesterday. It was very difficult, but I pushed through it. (I couldn't do the pushups either (even the knee one), so I did them against the wall instead). I'm a little sore the day after, but I can tell in my arms, abs, butt, and thighs that I got a whole body workout. It felt really great just to finish :)

Give it a shot and do your best. Don't be afraid to break a hard sweat or push yourself a little.
  • Jellyphant
    Jellyphant Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    I thought the exact same thing!! She is tough, but do what you can without pushing yourself too much. It will get easier ...
    LOL, I hope you're right. My husband even laughed at my expression while watching the first few minutes of it. >_<
  • saldridge
    saldridge Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Yeah, it's a tough one, but you can always go a little lighter. If you did it the first time today and you went as hard as you could - be prepared to start to feel achy by tonight and have a hard time to pull your sore body out of bed tomorrow.
    I remember the day after the first time - I woke up and just though WTF???? Everything hurt. Admitted, I really went all out because I was doing it with someone else who was a lot fitter and I wanted to show off that I can do it too, but OMG, hell on earth!
  • snrose
    snrose Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    thats the key in losing weight and getting to your goal...you have to push yourself to do things you don't think you can do! once you realize you can do it the feeling is amazing!!
  • ambie35
    ambie35 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    It's not scary once you get on and commit yourself, but in all honesty, I found it so boring I gave up after 4 days and decided to stick with my classes and running. I just don't think exercise DVDs are for me.

I agree,it does get repetitive after a while. I stuck out till day 15,and then didn't do it at all for about a week. I am trying to get back at doing it like every other day or something. Because as repetitive and trivial as it become,I was seeing results!
  • jrbb0309
    jrbb0309 Posts: 55
    Options
    Personally, I went in with the idea that I would do each level for as long as I need to and ignore the 30 day thing. I pushed myself really hard on the first day, taking 5 second rests as I absolutely had to, patted myself on the back when I made it through, and made sure I did the second day even though I hurt, omg, did I hurt, and it was worse the 3rd day. It will get better though and by the fourth day or so, your outright pain should be gone. I still do the knee push-ups and I'm not going to feel bad about it. I figure anything you can do is better than nothing and I take pride in each increment of change/added endurance. Have fun!
  • Jellyphant
    Options
    thats the key in losing weight and getting to your goal...you have to push yourself to do things you don't think you can do! once you realize you can do it the feeling is amazing!!
    Too true. I think that's the key that's gonna get me through day 1. D:
  • ItsTerriC
    ItsTerriC Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    It is a tough workout. I was so sore after the first day. I'm still a little sore and I'm on day 8 of Level 1. I have a rough time with the cardio - who knew 2 minutes could last so long? I just keep pushing. I skipped over the weekend - not on purpose, the house was just too full and crazy - so I'm making up for it by doing it twice a day yesterday and today. It's not easy, but it feels so good to know it's done. I am starting to see some changes, so that's encouraging.

Good luck and don't give up!
  • mes1921
    mes1921 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I'm on Day 6 and already I can do more pushups (mayb 5 or 6 at a time now!) and my cardio is a little better. The first 3 days were the worst, and I still lie on the floor after trying not to die! :laugh:

Push through and it's an amazing workout that will leave you feeling every individual muscle!
  • lcamero2
    lcamero2 Posts: 52
    Options
    Honestly, I imagined myself punching Jillian in the abs/face during the cardio punches... helped me get through it :P
  • Jellyphant
    Options
    I'm on Day 6 and already I can do more pushups (mayb 5 or 6 at a time now!) and my cardio is a little better. The first 3 days were the worst, and I still lie on the floor after trying not to die! :laugh:

Push through and it's an amazing workout that will leave you feeling every individual muscle!
    Lol, aw. It's mainly the push ups that are freaking me out, cause I saw her just talking and talking away while her 2 girls were struggling along doing pushups, haha..
    Cardio, I can handle. :]
  • Jellyphant
    Options
    Honestly, I imagined myself punching Jillian in the abs/face during the cardio punches... helped me get through it :P
    Niceee. I'll probably end up doing the same.
  • Mairgheal
    Mairgheal Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    You'll be amazed how quickly you can keep up with it, honestly!
    I started being Anita on Day 1 and ended up being Nathalie. I'm now on Level 2, day 6 and even though I had to get back to being Anita again, I'm definitely getting closer to Nathalie again. And I've no doubt it'll be the same in Level 3.

*Anita is the "beginner", the one with the bodyfat % of -5 and Nathalie is the advanced smily flirty one (my husband reeeally likes her)
  • susanjackson66
    susanjackson66 Posts: 696 Member
    Options
    I just finished Day 26 today. I have not missed a day and I feel great! The first day I thought I was going to die and never thought I could advance up to the next two levels. But I did and you can too. Just do what you can and then do the modified version until you can do it all. I never could do all the push ups either!! I have lost 10 pounds so far in the 26 days. I initially gained weight the first week, so dont let that bother you if you gain first. You will lose. Good luck!!
  • gemco
    gemco Posts: 129
    Options
    I got to day 4 and then Easter holidays/children got in the way, so i've missed a week now (grrrr) but i'm starting again after the weekend (wedding to go to, can't be having that thigh pain in heels chasing a baby all day) and feel happy i can do 30 days without a break. it WAS hard and i did hurt the next day but by day 3 and 4 it didnt hurt afterwards, i'm excited to see how much difference it can make. i do anticipate it getting boring, but i plan to just turn her off and listen to music eventually. its 20 minutes, i'm too knackered to get too bored in that time. :)
  • ladybug1620
    ladybug1620 Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    I did it, and then I walked around like an oldddd man for days afterwards. My legs were killing me. It's a great workout, but as previous posters have said...I got bored with it and quit. I am thinking of throwing it in here and there again for some extra toning.
  • ALW65
    ALW65 Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    You're right...it IS scary...but it's doable. It's one heck of a good workout, that's for sure. I'm just doing day 4 later today. When I can't keep up with a move like jumping jacks for instance, take a little break and just do the arm motion. If the weights get to heavy, set them down and do the exercise without them. Just keep moving and each time you find you can do a little more. If you're a person who takes Motrin, I do recommend using it the first day or two - I think most people would be pretty sore unless they're in decent shape to start with!
  • toxicbox
    toxicbox Posts: 22
    Options
    I just bought it because someone on here sugested it and OMG!!! I love it! I love to feel the burn and feel the pain after...I guess I am still on that kick of no pain no gain! I plan on doing it in the mornings M-F and on Saturday go swimming (I do live in Hawaii after all...LOL) Level 1 kicked my butt! Stay with it don't give up. My goal is to lose 6 inches in 43 days...so I am working my butt off for it! GOOD LUCK!!!