Need help with getting dumbbells and strength in general

Options
Hey everyone! I need your help!

I am starting to begin some strength training. I usually just run like 5 miles every other day but It isn't doing anything for my muscle definition (obviously it is just hurting it)

What do you guys recommend as far as dumbbells so I can work at home. I am not the strongest but I'm not weak by any means.

Thanks!

Replies

• Naomi91
    Naomi91 Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    well running does help with muscle definition actually :D Running helps you shed the fat on top of the muscle so that you look more defined!

Strength training increases strength and will make those defined muscles look even better :D

too bad I dont know the answer to the original question :D
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Youtube some strength training exercises for muscle definition.
  • Egger29
    Egger29 Posts: 14,741 Member
    Options
    You can get the Pre Fab Hex weights for about $0.40 a lb at most fitness stores. (I've even seen them at Walmart)
    Start off with some 20's and work your way up from there as needed.

Use a swiss ball as your bench and you'll get a great core workout at the same time!
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    Running longer than 20-30 minutes does actually burn muscle. But the good news is there are lots of options.

Have you heard on P90X? Great program to get in super muscular shape fat. Also Insanity: The Asylum will build you some muscle while increasing your cario endurance.

Then there is bodybuild.com where you can find free programs to help you build muscle. Just be sure to eat clean foods and lots of protein.

Good Luck. Let me know how it goes.

As far as dumbbells I suggest the Bowflex Select dumbbells. Upto 52 lbs or 90 lbs. They are pricey but lots are available on craigslist and they are cheaper then if you buy dumbbells.
  • mazomama
    mazomama Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    i shoulda looked here before i posted :laugh:
    i want the bowfelx ones but i'm hanging around here to see what others suggest !
  • RyonsLions2
    RyonsLions2 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    What I learned I learned from bodybuilding.com and they said do reps of like 10 to 12, and that the weights should not be so heavy you struggle from the beginning of the sets, but that by rep 10 to 12 they should be a little more difficult. I do 5 lbs on each side... you may do less or more... go try them at the store.. do a set of 12 reps and see how you feel. Don't be afraid of heavy. Go visit the site I put... bodybuilding.com.

I was GOING to make a joke and say if you can travel to MI, theres a lot of dumbbells in my neighborhood you could pick up .... but... LOL just teasing!! Good luck!!
  • Kimbie500
    Kimbie500 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    OK, I know you're a guy, but I just started the program in this book called "The New Rules of Lifting for Women." It has a series of tough strength training workouts that are designed to mimic movements our bodies actually do. Although it is written for folks that use gym equipment, the book describes at-home modifications for the exercises that require gym equipment. The reason I suggest this for you despite your testosterone poisoning :wink: is that there is a "New Rules of Lifting" that is written for men. I've not read it, but if it is like the one for women, it might be a good one to try. Worst case, if that's written for gym rats, is check the women's one out of the library and give it a try. I promise no critical body parts will be lost in the execution of the exercises... :laugh:
  • elzettel
    elzettel Posts: 256
    Options
    Running has also helped me with muscle toning and strength (lower body). I have light hand weights (5lbs) and a Kettlebell also 5lbs. I believe the rule of thumb is to use a weight heavy enough to feel the 'burn' at the end of your reps and still allow you to keep proper form. If you aren't feeling it then it is time to move up in weight. I've been looking at the dumbells in which you can adjust the weight since we don't have the room for a full set...I'd check a sporting goods store...they have the variety and often a coupon for an extra discount. Don't forget to make sure you are eating enough protein. Your body needs the protein to create and maintain your muscles. I'm not sure what the recommendation would be for a male but if you are starting a strength training program your protein needs will be above and beyond the regular daily needs.
  • peteyTwang
    peteyTwang Posts: 250
    Options
    No doubt RUNNING is definitely building _me_ plenty of new muscles because I never really did it before to workout like I'm doing these days...

For the same reason, your weight training will be totally new to your muscles -- so you don't need to go nuts spending a bundle right off the bat. You can do plenty just starting out with lighter weights and combos of full body exercises... and exercises that use your own body weight for resitance ...lunges, squats, crunch variations etc.. Start practicing them and learn the proper form and then add more weight or adapt your training to specific muscle groups..

I started with a few bucks worth of 3lb fixed weights (and http://www.easportsactive.com/)- currently using standard 14" bars with adjustable weights up to 40lbs each $40 for the pair on craigslist. There are different schools of thought on how to train but basically it boils down to heavy weights with less reps or less weight with more reps. In either case, it's incremental... you start with less and build up heavier over time...
    also different exercises suit light, med and heavy weights, e.g. it's easier to do a Press than a lateral raise with the same amount of weight so extra sets of bars are good to have available during a given workout

lastly, I _love_ the stability ball - on it's own and using it with weights (instead of a bench)... absolutely fundamental exercise gear -- can not recommend it highly enough! I have two GoFit models PRO & COMMERCIAL both are supposed to be 65cm one is rated 1200 lbs and the other is rated 2500 (strangely the 2nd seems considerably larger when it's inflated)
    Hey everyone! I need your help!

I am starting to begin some strength training. I usually just run like 5 miles every other day but It isn't doing anything for my muscle definition (obviously it is just hurting it)

What do you guys recommend as far as dumbbells so I can work at home. I am not the strongest but I'm not weak by any means.

Thanks!
  • peteyTwang
    peteyTwang Posts: 250
    Options
    :tongue:
  • baldzach
    baldzach Posts: 1,841 Member
    Options
    Running longer than 20-30 minutes does actually burn muscle.

For most people, this isn't the case. When you exercise your body is always burning a combination of protein, fat, and carbohydrate (glycogen). Generally with aerobic endurance exercise, you start burning your glycogen mostly, then you work into burning mostly fat, and then you begin burning mostly protein, or muscle. If you're running a long period of time (over 90 minutes), you should refuel while you exercise to avoid running out of glycogen and causing yourself to "bonk"... this is where gels, gatorade, jelly beans, etc., all come in. There are formulas for figuring out about how many calories and grams of sugar etc you should take in based on your speed, distance, weight, body composition, etc. Google it. For the most part, though, unless you're working out hard in a fasted state (i.e. first thing in the morning doing HIIT training) and not replacing your carbs and protein after your workout, you're not going to cannibalize muscle in any significant amount.

One thing I like to do is mix up a run with some weight training. You can do this in the gym by running a mile, then doing a few sets, then running another mile, etc... I also like to do this outdoors by stopping every mile or 10 minutes or whatever and doing 15 pushups and 15 prisoner squats... or pull ups if you can and you run past a park, etc.

Good luck, and keep movin!