Low Carb/Fat Questions

donnamariemoon
donnamariemoon Posts: 51
edited September 26 in Food and Nutrition
Hello,

I am new to using MFP and have never tracked things like fat and the various types before. I generally embrace a lower carb way of eating and try to get 25 or less grams from grains per day. I do not limit veggies or fruits and have never counted carbs there, so it is new to me to find that sometimes just eating one TLC bar and some fruits and veggies puts me almost to 100g per day of carbs.

Anyway, low carb is a way of life for me, I don't need to be convinced or debate the reasons I should/shouldn't eat this way (In addition to 13 lbs weight loss, I have experienced total remission of lifelong acne and great mood stability, regulation of my monthly cycle - it is a fantastic way of eating for me!)

I do have questions about the fats for other experienced low carbers to answer. It seems universal to avoid trans fats. But generally, do I have to worry about saturated fats? And what percentage of fat do you have as your daily goal? I had my ratio at 40% protein, 30% carb, 30% fat, but kept going over the fats every day. I am losing weight and feel fantastic, so I was thinking maybe I should put mine at 40% protein, 20% carb, 40% fat? Is that too much fat?

If possible I would like to hear from other experienced low carb eaters who view it as a way of life and not as a diet. I can read Atkins again or do internet searches but was curious more to how it plays out for real people over a period of time in real life.

I am 41 years old, always had good BP, cholesterol, very active, no health problems. I am currently 150 lbs, 5'3 1/2. Let me know your thoughts and thanks!

Donna

Replies

• tarazena
    tarazena Posts: 93 Member
    Saturated fats are only supposed to be like 5g a day...something like that..really low. I wouldn't worry going over in Fats if you are eating healthy ones..I often go over and have lost weight anyway. Keep it to avocado, nuts etc...stay away from animal fats (meat, cheese, high fat dairy) and should be good.
  • squitzwife
    squitzwife Posts: 51 Member
    Saturated fat can be good for you! A rule of thumb is that if it is natural (non-hydrodgenated for instance) it is healthy. Expeller pressed coconut oil (previously thought to be a super NONO) is linked to weight loss. Remember moderation in all things. don't start scooping bacon grease into your mouth, but don't avoid chicken cuts like theighs.

I did Atkins before and FELT GREAT! problem was that I never could stick to it because I love bread. Calorie counting has worked better for me. But if it works DO IT!
This discussion has been closed.