I hate to run....

Options
:mad:
Okay so I really hate to run, I always have, but I do it. I started running as a kid in crosscountry and then in highschool when I joined track. I was hoping that eventually I would get that runner's high everyone talks about. No matter how hard I try to convince myself that running is good for me and that it does the body good, my brain refuses to believe it. Last year when I started CrossFit I noticed that there was a lot of running and after about 4 weeks I started getting the most horrible shin splints. So bad that I could barley walk the next day. I have iced them, bought different shoes and nothing works. Thankfully, I have friends that are avid runners and they stated that my problem is that because I have lifted weights my whole life I run like a lifter (elephant) with no grace at all.

Yesterday for our work out we started doing 20 burpee pulls ups then continued with 50 65lb thrusters and ended with a 1.5 mile run. I have to admit I was trying to convince my trainer how bad running was going to be for me so that I wouldn't have to do this damn run, but due to peer presure from everyone else at the gym and the belief from my trainer that I could do it, I DID. Well I wont lie, I was so angry during that run, cursing each step and hating life. I was thinking what the hell am I doing, Im way to big to be running 1.5 miles and to boot a hill (damn steep too) in the middle of the run. The entire way my legs kept getting heavier and heavier, but then the end was in sight, I only had about 400 meters to go and told myself, "you are so near, what ever you do, don't walk", so I kept running and my calves were on FIRE. Finally, I finished and collapsed. I couldn't feel my legs, and wanted to die. My calves felt rock hard and no matter what I did, laying down, walking, standing still, the pain wouldn't go away. In my head I keep telling affirming that I shouldn't have run, that it was a bad idea. My stomach was turning and I was pretty sure I was going to puke. As the minutes went by everyone kept coming over to me and telling me what a good job I did and that they were so glad I tackled the run. Even the "super fit" and might I say much younger Crossfitters were panting and out of breath and complaining about the same aches.

So, what I learned as I got in my car and the pain was pretty much gone.....I am a whinner, no not a winner, a whinner. I spend so much time trying to convince myself that running is the devil that if I just tackled it the way I do everything else in my life I might just enjoy a good run every now and then. Or maybe not, but my goal will be to not dread it and finish what I start. So who knows maybe in a few months my next posts will say....I love to run (but please dont hold your breath :tongue: )