Telling People You are on a Diet

Options
So I have a problem. My kid sister wants to take me out for mexican food..... I love it but I haven't even thought about it since I started this journey. Every time I go I completely over do it! I don't want her to be upset with me for thinking it's a bad idea. Besides that I am super obsessed with logging every single thing that gets stuffed into my face. And it's a local place so I have no idea what is in any of it. It used to not bother me but now i am freaking out about it. Maybe I should just suggest subway or ask her if she wants to make lunch with me. Ugh sometimes this is so hard! Had to vent tho.

Replies

• hellenyork
    Options
    I've had to cut out a couple of our local resturants because they don't give nutrition info and I'm obsessed with logging!! You shouldn't be ashamed of telling people you are watching what you eat and suggest someplace different or make a mexican lunch at home so you can control what goes in it!
  • bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    It's definately a pain in the butt.
    It's hard for me to explain to people, because most of my guy friends just give me this:
    output.gif

when i say I'm not gonna go out and drink.

Suggest a healthier option maybe.
    Or if you know you're going out, and want to enjoy mexican, plan your diet for that day accordingly.
    Theres nothing wrong with enjoying food like that, as long as you fit it into your dailiy allowances.
  • hollyknouse
    hollyknouse Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    It is hard and I totally here you there! I struggle with this all of the time. I get cranky mostly because of logging the food. If I do go for Mexican I try to get chicken fajitas. They are sort of easy to log if you break them down. Or a salad. A lot of people try to find a comparable food with a Mexican restaurant in the database. Good luck!!
  • damonmath
    damonmath Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I try to find things I can eat on the menu. For Mexican food I eat the pinto beans, rice and fish tacos if available... If not, I get the chicken taco and just eat the meat. If you do it right, no one will even know you are dieting. Like eat around the cheese, or move the sour cream to the side. You won't miss out on your friends and family, and will still get the benefit of healthier choices. :)
  • Rubie81
    Rubie81 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I try to find things I can eat on the menu. For Mexican food I eat the pinto beans, rice and fish tacos if available... If not, I get the chicken taco and just eat the meat. If you do it right, no one will even know you are dieting. Like eat around the cheese, or move the sour cream to the side. You won't miss out on your friends and family, and will still get the benefit of healthier choices. :)

Great advice, Damon!
    Also, I wouldn't switch the Mexican place for Subway. Subway isn't as fantastic as people think it to be.
    So go out and eat Mexican, skip the tortillas and chips and anything with heavy cream and just enjoy. Beans are great, some rice and then a meat/ fish of choice.
  • ewebber88
    ewebber88 Posts: 33
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice. We decided on Subway. I know it's not as great but where I live there are 6 places to choose from. Mexican, McDonald's, DQ, Subway, and 2 local pizza places. So I think subway was probably the best alt. As for finding things on the menu.... I don't eat meat and most mexi places cook their rice in chicken stock of some other kind of fat and it's hard to tell someone that barely speaks English that you want them to prepare your food a certain way. I am not ashamed of being on a diet but the ppl around me are not really that supportive. I come from a large family and no one wants to change their lifestyle. I think I made a good decision today. I guess as long as I am happy with myself that's all that matters. I am still within all my ranges to :)
  • capricorn144
    capricorn144 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Any chance you can get their menu by googling the restaurant?
    I did that for Easter and I was able to plan my meal in advance ...I put it into my tracker and I knew what I was going to have and maybe went over 200 cals for the whole day (with wine in my plan too...it was an occasion)

anyway if they are not online with a menu find a comparable restaurant menu online (Chili's for example and see what the counts are)

enjoy and have fun with a plan in mind.:smile:
  • anthony438
    anthony438 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    If Mexican comes up again, just get chicken fajitas, and ditch the tortillas. All told, they're not bad for ya at all :wink: