i need low carb help!

Options
Ok so I have been stuck at 185-188 since feb/mar...
Im none to happy about it! I know I need to reduce my carb intake and after todays workout i threw away all crackers from my pantry!

Can anyone suggest food items to keep me going that are high protein and low carb... i need to keep protein at around 90-100 grams /day...

Thanks in advance for the insight!

D

Replies

• Supermel
    Supermel Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    I can not do low carb- but i do clean carbs. I eat quinoa and whole grain rice. I limit carbs at dinner and try not to eat any after dinner except as a treat. I eat oatmeal for breakfast and i'm eating good bread like ezekiel whith sprouted whole grains, no flour and no fructose corn syrup. I try to avoid crackers, lots of bread, pasta or non whole grain rice as i get bloated and just have that i want more feeling!
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    I try to do this in my snacks - hard boiled egg, cheese, crab sticks, roasted soy beans, humous, yoghurt...
  • SOOZIE429
    SOOZIE429 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    hard boiled eggs
    string cheese
    nuts
    turkey, chicken, ham slices

If you really want to go low carb, check out the Paleo or Primal way of eating.

Good luck!
  • ladybug1620
    ladybug1620 Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    beans, eggs, tuna, other fish, chicken, turkey, ham (watch sodium though)
  • redhead91
    redhead91 Posts: 251
    Options
    Honestly I think keeping your carbs around 130-150 every day would give you a signifigant boost without severely restricting you. Try eating more things like eggs and cheese. Some crackers and whole grain bread aren't going to hurt you at all. Just stay away from bad carbs like those in candy, white bread, and those 100 calorie packs. Personally I adore the Special K crackers that have just 90 for 17 crackers and 16 carbs. I usually cut that into 5 crackers and eat them with laughing cow. Delicious and super low cal/carb!
  • Dancinhiphop4life
    Options
    low carb is the only thing i do. i try to stay under 100 carbs. here are a few items that are high protein- chicken, fish, tuna, eggs, greek yogurt, protein shakes. high fiber complex carbs are the best to have when having carbs. oatmeal and the high fiber low carb tortilla wraps. i have now replaced bread with the wraps. the tumaros gourmet low carb wraps are awesome- i have the salsa ones which are 96% FF - 50 cals - 11 carbs - 6 fibers - and 90 mg sodium. also peanut butter and nuts are good. you can look at my diary for some ideas. most days are the same and somewhat boring. breakfast egg white wrap, lunch protein shake or chicken with broccoli with a cheese or alfredo sauce- dinner same as lunch or a chicken taco salad without the tortilla chips. then for a snack i usually take 2 TBSP of some kind of peanut butter (usually use Peanut Butter and Company's cinnamon raisin or chocolate dream spread) and spread it in a wrap and grill it. OMG it is so good!
  • ladyphoto
    ladyphoto Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Simply cutting out useless carbs like those from crackers, white breads, and basic junk food is a great start. Good carbs, in small doses is what I try to do: whole wheat bread (but only one slice), oatmeal (plain oatmeal), whole grain rice- that's about it for the carbs. Snack you can try for low carb: celery with cream cheese or peanut butter, cheese (watch how much though), nuts (again just a few), hard boiled eggs are a terrific snack! celery or brocolli dipped in ranch dressing- good for you and low in carbs- just watch things like Ranch dressing and such because they are high in calories...
  • mjslazak
    mjslazak Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I'm working on knocking out as many processed carbs/foods as possible too. I tend to snack on carrots, celery, almonds (I have a little tin that holds just a proper serving so I don't eat too much), seaweed snacks (kinda weird, but I like the crunch), and today I'll be trying out Trader Joe's dehydrated green beans (ever in search of a cracker replacement). I find that if I ensure that I have enough protein, the urge to snack on carby food isn't as great.
  • Rworthy
    Rworthy Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Cashew butter (find it at whole foods or make it yourself.)
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,121 Member
    Options
    Beans. I'm just sayin'. Keeps you full, lots of fiber, low cal, complex carbs for energy.
  • inkdgirl
    inkdgirl Posts: 79
    Options
    Thank you everyone,

I do love greek yogurt, almonds,carrots,cheese strings, tuna,

is steel cut oats ok? or are they too carby?
  • mpfand
    mpfand Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I've noticed that some fruits have alot of carbs, too. Is it different than the kind found in breads etc. or should we limit fruit as well?
  • capricorn144
    capricorn144 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    All whole wheat and whole grain for breads, pasta, even rice cakes.

I eat protein with each meal and my carbs are mostly veg.

That seems to make me feel good and not have cravings. Don't know if that is helpful but it seems to be working.
  • mjslazak
    mjslazak Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    @ mpfand: I wouldn't limit fruit per se, but if you find yourself snacking on fruit more than veg, you may want to cut back more for the sugars than the carbs within. Whole foods and the nutrition they provide: vitamins, complex carbs, minerals, etc, are definitely better than anything processed (i.e., breads, pastas, crackers).

But that said, I like to have bread and pasta... just try to limit it to now and then!
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    Eggs, fish, chicken. Herein ends the lesson ;)
  • BastaConLaPasta
    Options
    I know it's contentious, but my diet is virtually carb-free. I rarely eat fruit but bulk up on low-carb veggies (spinach, rocket etc) and eat loads of fish, 0% fat greek yoghurt, egg whites, tofu. It's hard at first but it starts to feel normal.

What I find nice about it now is that whereas chocolate or whatever used to feel like a treat, it now feels fabulously indulgent to have, say, greek yoghurt with a banana and nuts and dried fruit and a drizzle of honey. Doing the Dukan diet has definitely 're-set' my need for carbs, which used to make up the bulk of my diet, even though they were only the healthy ones.
  • damonmath
    damonmath Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I only eat the following carbs:

- oatmeal (1/2 cup at breakfast)
    - organic brown rice (1/2 cup at lunch & dinner)
    - cottage cheese (1/2 cup at lunch)
    - black/pinto/kidney beans (1/2 cup at dinner)

^^^^^ That's it for carbs in one day :)

The rest are:

- quality protein (whey, tuna, mahi, shrimp, chicken, greek yogurt)
    - quality fats (flax seed oil, fish oil, and olive oil)
    - Vegetables (v8 juice)
    - Supplements and Vitamins

I avoid these:

- Coffee creamer / Milk
    - Sugar
    - Meals larger than 1000 calories ever.

I generally spread my meals out to 6 and workout first thing in the morning. By spreading out my meals and working out first thing, I jump start my metabolism and keep it high throughout the day. By keeping my carbs low I also convert my body into a fat burning machine.

:)
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    I only eat the following carbs:

- oatmeal (1/2 cup at breakfast)
    - organic brown rice (1/2 cup at lunch & dinner)
    - cottage cheese (1/2 cup at lunch)
    - black/pinto/kidney beans (1/2 cup at dinner)

^^^^^ That's it for carbs in one day :)

The rest are:

- quality protein (whey, tuna, mahi, shrimp, chicken, greek yogurt)
    - quality fats (flax seed oil, fish oil, and olive oil)
    - Vegetables (v8 juice)
    - Supplements and Vitamins

I avoid these:

- Coffee creamer / Milk
    - Sugar
    - Meals larger than 1000 calories ever.

I generally spread my meals out to 6 and workout first thing in the morning. By spreading out my meals and working out first thing, I jump start my metabolism and keep it high throughout the day. By keeping my carbs low I also convert my body into a fat burning machine.

:)

You don't eat vegetables and fruit???? Those are carbs also................
  • dailyorange
    dailyorange Posts: 128
    Options
    keeping this in my topics so i can refer to it later =)
  • rachpiper720
    Options
    Hey!

I just went through this about a month ago so I have found some resources that might help. I have been mostly looking at the Primal/Paleo eating habits, which cuts out most carbs except for fruit and vegetables. Since then, I eat lots of vegetables that are steamed or raw, included more eggs, cheese, and leaner cuts of meat (which include beef), and reduced my fruit to mostly berries. Because I have been eating more fat and protein, I'm not as hungry and I have been able to get by on less calories. I feel a million times better and have lost weight a lot easier. Here are some great resources that are helping me.

http://robbwolf.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/thePaleoSolution_FoodMatrix.pdf

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/ (free cookbooks)

http://lowcarbdudecom.blogspot.com/ (yummy recipes!)

http://www.atkins.com/ (strictly for the free low-carb recipes)

I figure a recipe is a recipe no matter where you get it from as long as it is good and it fits your diet.