Keep going over sugar allowance

Options
i keep going over my sugar allowance but it's all natural sugars from fruit and veg or dairy. Will this affect my weight loss or will I be ok as long as I stick within my cals and fat allowance?

Replies

• drasr
    drasr Posts: 181
    Options
    I do too. But almost all the experts that i have talked to have advised me to have as many fruits and vegetables as possible.
  • bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    I'm always over.
    if you're where you need to be on carbs/protein/fat then it doesn't matter
  • sophieshaped
    sophieshaped Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    My opinion is ignore the natural sugars from fruit and veg. The benefits outweigh the sugars. However there are some fruits that are lower in sugar than others so if you're worried, go for those!
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    Although eating too much fruit can be problematic - it can cause weight gain due to the sugar carbs, you can count the sugar column as any added sugars (natural sugars are part of the carb numbers - if you have 20 total carbs and 4g of natural sugars then 4g of those carbs come from the sugars). I wouldn't ignore them though since they are counted as carbs.

I used to create my own foods and remove the sugar numbers for natural sugars but it got way too tedious.

I get the majority of my carbs from fruits, veggies, and dairy. I have some whole grain but not that much (maybe a bit like the primal diet - but not totally - I love my oatmeal too much).
  • Emma1903
    Emma1903 Posts: 195
    Options
    It's milk that is doing it really as I have this every morning about 100ml of skimmed milk is 8g of sugar, and my sugar allowance is only 20g. So you think I shouldn't count these sugars?
  • Crystals422
    Crystals422 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Switch to Almond milk. I don't really pay attention to sugar and have lost 47 lbs.
  • curvygirl512
    curvygirl512 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I just met with MD yesterday, specifically to discuss where I should set my limits. Even my doctor thinks that the default sugar setting is low. She recommended I set it at 50, and we agreed on 45. This way, I can get three servings of dairy and the recommended fruit/veg servings as well. She seemed really impressed with the printouts I took to our meeting. And she was definitely pleased with my weight loss and general health. WTG MFP!

BTW, she also thought the default settings for cholesterol and sodium were set way to high.

To reset, go to My Home, Goals, and follow the prompts for a custom setting.

Bottom line, talk to your doctor about your individual health circumstances and goals.
  • Emma1903
    Emma1903 Posts: 195
    Options
    I'm in the uk, do you know what super Market you can get almond milk from?
  • mrs_mouse
    mrs_mouse Posts: 24
    Options
    I don't know about the UK, but in north america you can get it just about anywhere. It's usually in one of the food aisles (not refrigerated).