Struggling with Jogging Pain- Help!

Options
So this is my third attempt to become a jogger. My first attempt actually went pretty well- I got up to jogging 5 miles before some major life changes happened and all that progress was lost. Now to be fair pretty well meant my knees hurt and I had shin splints. The knees were getting better though. The second attempt did not go so well. I developed bursitis in my hip and had to do some physical therapy and return to swimming. Now, with my hip stronger, I am going for my third attempt. Currently, I am jogging a mile broken into 1/4 mile sets. I do about a half mile of walking in between. My shins hurt already. I am not sure what to do. I got good shoes. My doctor recommended a warm-up that is supposed to help, but from which I see no benefits. Is the pain going to stop as I get more fit and lose weight? Is there something that worked for somebody else?

Replies

• Peanutmanda
    Peanutmanda Posts: 103
    Options
    Bump
  • baldzach
    baldzach Posts: 1,841 Member
    Options
    Couple of quick suggestions...

Assuming you're in the right shoes for your foot type, there's a couple of things you can try. First, try running more on the front of your foot, like you would if you were barefoot. It may be beneficial to take off your shoes and run across a smooth surface (like a clean sidewalk) for a couple hundred feet and notice how your foot lands and see if it feels different, then try to replicate that motion with your shoes on.

Another thought is to seek out softer surfaces. Asphalt is softer than concrete. High school tracks are softer than asphalt. Trails are softer than tracks...

Then you could also try some shin-strengthening exercises, like walking around on your heels with your toes pointed up.

This is all assuming that your shoes aren't just "good shoes" but are also the right ones for your feet. Good luck!
  • TS65
    TS65 Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    It' sounds like your running gait is landing on your heel - which can cause all sorts of problems. Try to land on the middle of your foot (to the top of your arch).

Here's a good video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrOgDCZ4GUo

(to learn more, google "correct running gait")