Information on HRM please!!!

lhurtubise
lhurtubise Posts: 693 Member
edited September 26 in Health and Weight Loss
Hello,
I am very interested in purchasing a hrm. I was wondering if they actually calculate the calories burned for you? Also if you have a brand you love could you please recommend some for me? Any information on how it actually works would be helpful. I have done some research, but I would also like to hear from all of you. I am new and could always use more friends so feel free to add me!

Replies

• laurenlei
    laurenlei Posts: 96
    I would love to know this too!!!
  • up2me2lose20
    up2me2lose20 Posts: 360 Member
    If you use the "Search" function in the Message Board toolbar above, you will find lots of info about HRM's. I recently purchased a Polar FT4 and have been very happy with it. Yes, it records the calories burned per training session, the time spent training, how long your HR was in the "Target Zone" and your maximum & minimum HR's. I chose the Polar FT4 off of lots of great reviews here at MFP. I had to save up for a couple months to purchase one without effecting the family budget, but I did it!

It's really important that whichever model you chose, you elect one with a chest strap. This allows a more accurate HR detection and thus it calculates more accurately Calories burned.
  • The ones with a chest strap and transmitter are much more accurate than the others. After much research I got the Polar FT4 which is very popular with people on here. I love it. Yes it does tell you how many calories you burn.
  • abra526
    abra526 Posts: 213 Member
    I'd been wanting one for a long time, but didn't have a lot of extra dough to spend on one. I found one at Walmart that is made by SportLine, and I LOVE it! I paid $47 for it. It has a watch and a chest strap, which makes it more accurate. It gives you calories burned, current HR, constant HR monitoring while working out, you can time laps on it, and it's also just a regular old watch. I have also heard good things about Polar HRM but they are a little more pricey. They are all a little bit different, so you just have to read the book that comes with it and play around with all the buttons and functions. Good luck!
  • lhurtubise
    lhurtubise Posts: 693 Member
    Thanks for the info everyone!
This discussion has been closed.