A way to save calories!

Options
I like dip with my veggies!. Most people do, but using light sour cream to make the dip isn't quite the same. I recently discovered that if you mix a ranch packet in with plain Greek yogurt you not only save in calories but it tastes almost exactly like full fat sour cream dip. Yay!

Replies

• wewon
    wewon Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Thanks!

I just discovered the wonderment of greek yogurt about a month ago.

I use it in place of sour cream. Its probably the only "sub" that I can tolerate in place of the real thing.
  • lwdllc
    lwdllc Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I've got another one! almond milk with cereal, get the unsweetened original or vanilla flavored, I think it tastes better then skim milk and only 40 calories per cup!
  • dennypup
    dennypup Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Non fat Greek yogurt is awesome! I like it plain with splenda, sometimes I dip fruit in it too! Good stuff and has a lot of protein too!
  • SassyStef
    SassyStef Posts: 413
    Options
    I've got another one! almond milk with cereal, get the unsweetened original or vanilla flavored, I think it tastes better then skim milk and only 40 calories per cup!

My daughter loves almond milk, we also have the coconut milk too!! Way less sugar and so much better for you than cow milk, even the organic :smile:
  • sabl3
    sabl3 Posts: 39
    Options
    I've done that! It's great! I also LOVE thai curry but coconut milk is super high in fat and calories. Also the fat in coconut milk is worse for you than butter so I took almond milk and mixed it with a couple TBSPs of coconut milk and made my thai curry. It was amazing! I know it probably sounds gross to you, but really, don't knock it till you try it haha
  • ka_42
    ka_42 Posts: 720 Member
    Options

My daughter loves almond milk, we also have the coconut milk too!! Way less sugar and so much better for you than cow milk, even the organic :smile:

The only bummer is the calcium. I recently realized I'm not getting near enough calcium so I'm adding cows milk to my diet again.
  • sabl3
    Options
    Almond milk is fortified greatly with calcium sometimes more than cows milk. Also, milk isn't the only source. Grean vegetables like broccoli, kale and collards have calcium. Try to have a reduced fat cheese stick or sprinkle some parm on your food. They are all good ways to get needed calcium. Don't forget to get plenty of weight bearing exercise to aid in bone health. Vit. D is important for absorption so seek supplementation or lay out in the sun. Yes! the sun is a source of Vit. D!
  • ka_42
    ka_42 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Almond milk is fortified greatly with calcium sometimes more than cows milk. Also, milk isn't the only source. Grean vegetables like broccoli, kale and collards have calcium. Try to have a reduced fat cheese stick or sprinkle some parm on your food. They are all good ways to get needed calcium. Don't forget to get plenty of weight bearing exercise to aid in bone health. Vit. D is important for absorption so seek supplementation or lay out in the sun. Yes! the sun is a source of Vit. D!

My mistake! Thank you. Thats great news... I love almond milk. I must have been out of it when i compared labels.

Maybe I decided to replace with cow's milk based on the difference in the amount of protein.
  • sabl3
    Options
    It's ok a lot of people make that mistake. try to get the Blue diamond brand, I feel it's all around better than the silk kind but that's just me :) good luck!
  • darkhorse43
    darkhorse43 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I've done that! It's great! I also LOVE thai curry but coconut milk is super high in fat and calories. Also the fat in coconut milk is worse for you than butter so I took almond milk and mixed it with a couple TBSPs of coconut milk and made my thai curry. It was amazing! I know it probably sounds gross to you, but really, don't knock it till you try it haha

The coconut milk they're talking about is this.

http://sodeliciousdairyfree.com/products/product.php?p=so_delicious_beverage_hg_unsweetened

This is very different from the canned stuff used in curries.
  • sabl3
    Options
    Holy crap! I didn't even know that existed! very cool. Thanx for the link :)