Get new friends! :tongue:
  • eeeekie
    eeeekie Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    1200 is the least you should go
  • n0pants3ver
    n0pants3ver Posts: 175
    Options
    1,200 is the very minimum. Otherwise your body will hold on to the fat.
  • Newfiedan
    Newfiedan Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
  • Christie81
    Christie81 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's unhealthy. You need to figure out your BMR so that you know how many calories your body needs. At that point you can create a calorie deficet to help you reach your goals in a healthy way. Here is a hood website to help fogure that out:
    http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/
  • Fat2FitChick
    Fat2FitChick Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Your body has adjusted to the low caloric intake by slowing down which is why you aren't hungry along with only eating 1000 calories. This is not healthy because your body has slowed to try and preserve itself. You need to eat at least a few hundred more.
  • annacataldo
    annacataldo Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    1000 is not healthy.. if i make my meals right, i can be stuffed off 600calories a day, but that doesnt mean im getting enough nutrition/fuel for my body to run. if your body doesnt get enough fuel to burn, it starts eating away your muscles.. and i for one want a lil muscle. I had to look at what i was eating and figure out ways to incorpaorate higher calorie foods so that i could make 1200 NET calories a day minimum. I added in some nuts instead of just carrots for snacks, and things like that to up my calories.. Im suppose to eat close to 1700 NET a day, but 1200 is the minimum a woman needs in order to remain out of the starvation mode territory. You can lose for awhile in this starvation mode territory, but I wouldnt be one bit surprized if just one day, you stopped losing all together and weeks, months, etc went by without a single ounce of weight loss...
  • Christie81
    Christie81 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Your body has adjusted to the low caloric intake by slowing down which is why you aren't hungry along with only eating 1000 calories. This is not healthy because your body has slowed to try and preserve itself. You need to eat at least a few hundred more.

That's right. You should feel hungry...this way you know your metabolism is working :) Eat 5-6 small meals a day, every few hours.
  • 1234lbsgone
    1234lbsgone Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Who is eating 1000 calories? You, your friend, your dog, your hamster? Eating ONLY 1000 calories? Unhealthy because its too much, too little?

Depends on who, what, where, when, why. Size, shape, medical history, goals, fitness level.....
  • wewon
    wewon Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    You most likely need more than 1000 calories per day but your individual needs may vary. Most people need at least 1200 for proper metabolic functioning.

At my size I shouldn't be going below 1500.
  • ramseyrose
    ramseyrose Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Google the Harris benedict formula. It will workout your BMR.
  • tuscaroragal
    tuscaroragal Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I agree....I have one of MFP friends who has her calories at about 800-1000, and personally, I haven't found a kind way to tell her she is hurting herself trying to limit her calorie intake so much...and, I would like to add, she has only lost 1 pound...so, I agree with all the posters...1200 calories should be a minimum...I'm taller (and larger), so I am currently eating at least 1500-1600 calories a day, and have lost 20 pounds in 13 weeks...(with 45 minutes of cardio every day as well) it works, and your DON'T have to starve yourself...It's all about finding your own balance! Eat more HEALTHY calories! :)
  • hayley_m
    hayley_m Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    1000 calories does seem a bit low, although my doctor put me on an 800 cal a day diet with no carbs for 2 weeks, purely though to kick start weight loss, it did but then i piled it all back on...quickly!! it needs to be a balance to work and i would seriously consider upping it to 1200, this needs to be a lifestyle change not just a quick fix! try lots of small meals throughout the day rather than 3 meals and then maybe you will get a few more cals in sneakily rather than forcing yourself to eat? have breakfast, then a peice of fruit, then a small lunch, then a snack, then small dinner WITH a healthy pudding and then maybe another peice of fruit?? bananas are quite high in calories but yet good for you and give you energy but dont make you feel bloated, or a handfull of nuts?
    good luck with your journey though and im sure you'll find something that works for you!!
  • Stephers32
    Stephers32 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    The really great thing about this site is that it tells you what you should be taking in...calories, fats, proteins, etc. There is no shortage of information out there on what you need to take in to satisfy what's called your 'Basal Metabolic Rate' (Basal or basic...I can't remember..but keep reading, it'll make sense I promise!). Your BMR is the amount of calories that any person needs to just exist on this earth (how your body regenerates cells, metabolizes the food you eat, breathing, etc...you know, the exciting stuff). So, like someone else posted, what you need if you just sat on a couch all day, without exercise.

As someone who is 5'7" with a relatively sedentary lifestyle my minimum is 1200. I have been exercising and this site is great at telling me how many more calories I can take in (yay for exercise!). Like another Poster said, eating too little can make you gain weight because your body goes into 'survival' mode and hangs on to everything because it doesn't know where it's next meal is coming from.

I hope that's somewhat helpful. - your friends are right but don't trust what they say, do the research yourself to know that it's true!

Good luck!
  • ahanson6
    ahanson6 Posts: 102
    Options

This is one of my favorite posts. Very clear explanation.
  • Doberwomann
    Options
    I could never survive on 1000 calories x way too little x yes i think very unhealthy x
  • ebgbjo
    ebgbjo Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    What is height and body frame? I am short, 4' 10 3/4" - there are many days where I am at 1k. I am fine.
  • elliecolorado
    elliecolorado Posts: 1,040
    Options
    Generally the rule of thumb is 1200 calories, but really I'd need more information to know if 1000 calories is unhealthy. If you are shorter than average it may be ok. My mom is only 4'10" and her BMR is only about 1200 plus activity it is about 1500, her nutritionist has her eating about 1000 calories a day to lose about a pound a week (without exercise), but for the average person, I wouldn't recommend going below 1200 calories a day.
  • joybell32
    joybell32 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Dober-I LOVE YOUR SIGNATURE PIC!!!!!!!!!!!! Too funny!
  • Doberwomann
    Options
    Dober-I LOVE YOUR SIGNATURE PIC!!!!!!!!!!!! Too funny!

haha well i like to laugh at myself and you should have a sense of humour when it comes to dieting lol xxx