2 pounds to goal

cowboy48
cowboy48 Posts: 46 Member
Hello,

I should have joined this forum a long time ago but now that I am just about done my weight loss I want to maintain now. I am 49 years old and I have always been fat. Not overweight or chunky or big - just fat. Right from the time I was about 6 I was always the 'fat' kid. I have been up and down in weight my whole life. When I turned 49 last August I decided that I wasn't going to enter my 50's fat. I had enough- I spent 45 or so years fat and I was tired of it. At my heaviest about 4 years ago I weighed 320 pounds at 5'11". It took me about 6 months or so to lose 100 pounds using the old WW points program. I didn't exercise at all but lost the weight anyway. I decided to take 3 months off and maintain at 220 pounds to give my body a rest. Well the 3 months turned into over 2 years and I had gained 35 pounds back again. I was now 255 pounds at my 40th birthday and 'fat' again.

Since I had dieted on and off my whole life I knew what I could and couldn't eet. So I had the diet part down. This time I decided to add exercise as well. The problem was what kind of exercise should I or could I do? I decided to try running. Now don't get me wrong I couldn't run a block if I tried - never could either. I live out in the country on an acreage so I decided to run my subdivision. I started running to the next driveway- took a rest and then ran to the next driveway. By early October ( remember I started late August) I could run the whole subdivision without stopping - 2 KM.. We had a 5 K fun run ( with a group of people I exercise with) that I signed up for on New Year's Day. I completed that. Then I entered my first 'official 10K run on March 21, I finished that and now am traiing for a 1/2 marathon on my 50th birthday.

Along with the running and watching my diet I am now 2 pounds away from my goal of 175 pounds. I have not been this light since I was about 12 years old. The running helped with some of my toning and tightening. In fact my love handles that I have always had are just about gone. I now look forward to finishing my 1/2 marathon and trying to maintain my current weight. I think that is going to be harder than losing the weight. I am not sure but hope to keep you updated on my struggles as I encounter them.

Replies

• OSUalum
    OSUalum Posts: 449 Member
    Congratulations! What a incredible accomplishment!
    I'm sure you'll do a fantastic job at maintaining and staying healthy!
  • cowboy48
    Congratulations! What a incredible accomplishment!
    I'm sure you'll do a fantastic job at maintaining and staying healthy!

Thanks but i am not so sure-lol. I am having a problem with eating more food. My daily calorie is between 1400 and 1600 calories but according to maintenance I should be eating between 2000 and 3000 calories depending on my exercise for that day. I don't think I could eat that much yet. I am going to try to slowly increase my calories to about 2000 calories and see if that works. It is the mental part of maintenance that is going to be difficult. Knowing I have to eat more is going to be tough. I will have to see how I will deal with this
  • A_New_Horizon
    A_New_Horizon Posts: 1,555 Member
    Wow. What an accomplishement. You should post some pics, so we can see your progess. You have worked hard, and you should show it off. What a success story.
  • cowboy48
    Wow. What an accomplishement. You should post some pics, so we can see your progess. You have worked hard, and you should show it off. What a success story.

Thank you!! I may post pics in a bit - I will have to think about it. Thanks for stopping by!!
  • Tree72
    Tree72 Posts: 942 Member
    Thanks so much for sharing your story with us. It's great to hear that determination and hard work can accomplish so much. Good luck with navigating the next part of your journey.
  • cowboy48
    Well I started a 1/2 marathon clinic yesterday. It was interesting to actually be in a formal running clinic instead of doing training on my own. Looking at the training schedule I could start at week 11, I think-lol. I am still keeping up my training from my 10K run in March so I am running distances further than the schedule allows. My 1/2 marathon schedule is as such Tuesday - classroom and tempo run ( this is always the shortest run of the week) Wednesday - hill training, and Sunday is Long slow run day. I will do my normal training in between these days so I can run farther on those days. I also do a bootcamp on Thursday nights and I will run 6K before that class.

My eating is always spot on. I normally eat about 1400-1600 calories. With this training, I will have to eat more - I know that already. especially more protein. I am the kind of guy that can eat the same thing everyday - drives my wife crazyt-lol. So eating with my limit has never really been a problem. The problem is going to be increasing the eating to maintenance.
  • cowboy48
    I have hit my goal weight of 175- YIPPEEE!!. I didn't think I would do it but I DID!! It almost took me longer to lose the last 10 pounds as it did the last 70-lol. I thought according to the past 8 weeks that I would lose my normal 1 pound for this week but I got a surprise and lost 2 this week so I have lost a total of 80 pounds this time around and hit my goal. Now what do I do-LOL? I think now the real struggle begins as I have to increase my food intake without gaining and train for my 1/2 marathon and get enough food in my system for that. I think this is going to be harder than losing the weight. I will still be diligent on my calories and watch what I eat but this time I won't have the satisfaction of seeing the scale go down- I just want it to stay the same. That is going to be a psychological nightmare- I think-lol. That is okay- I set out to do something and I FINALLY did it.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,097 Member
    Congratulations. I still have a way to go, but the end is in sight. It is good to see someone who made it.
  • ButterflyKristen
    ButterflyKristen Posts: 109 Member
    Wow, I love your story. I wonder if you would like doing P90X next, not for weight loss obviously, but to get more toned and to help with your athletic performance. The nutrition program that comes with it might help you with your maintenance phase. Based on what you've said thus far, it looks like you are really eating a lot less than you should given your size and your activity level. If you have very much trouble with maintaining, I would cough up the cash to consult a professional nutritionist that specializes in diet and maintenance; you've worked too hard and put so much heart into the new you to let it frustrate you so much at this point! Well done! You are an inspiration!!!!!!
  • cowboy48
    Wow, I love your story. I wonder if you would like doing P90X next, not for weight loss obviously, but to get more toned and to help with your athletic performance. The nutrition program that comes with it might help you with your maintenance phase. Based on what you've said thus far, it looks like you are really eating a lot less than you should given your size and your activity level. If you have very much trouble with maintaining, I would cough up the cash to consult a professional nutritionist that specializes in diet and maintenance; you've worked too hard and put so much heart into the new you to let it frustrate you so much at this point! Well done! You are an inspiration!!!!!!

Thank you and thanks for the advice. I have thought about a professioanl nutritionist and may go that route. I have also thought about P90X but was unsure as to how well it works. Have you tried it or are you using it now? if so, how did it work for you?
  • cowboy48
    Congratulations. I still have a way to go, but the end is in sight. It is good to see someone who made it.

You can do it!! The last 10 pounds are the hardest but don't give up!!
  • soccermum75
    soccermum75 Posts: 588 Member
    Amazing story. Congrats! You are an inspiration especially now that i have taken up running. I hope to run a half marathon in september.
  • ButterflyKristen
    ButterflyKristen Posts: 109 Member
    I think P90X is a great, comprehensive sculpting regimen. Don't just take my word for it, just do a search on the message boards for P90X and you will see many, many people write positive things about it. I highly recommend it.
  • rosey808
    rosey808 Posts: 91 Member
    What an inspirational story. Thank you for sharing and congratulations on your well earned success. Enjoy your 50s!
  • cowboy48
    Amazing story. Congrats! You are an inspiration especially now that i have taken up running. I hope to run a half marathon in september.

Thanks. I am running mine in late August. Good luck on your run!!
  • cowboy48
    I think P90X is a great, comprehensive sculpting regimen. Don't just take my word for it, just do a search on the message boards for P90X and you will see many, many people write positive things about it. I highly recommend it.

Thanks, I may try it. Didn't know whether to believe all those testimonials on the message boards. You don't know how many of them are true-lol. I think it is my next step though as it should help with toning and putting on some muscle.
  • cowboy48
    What an inspirational story. Thank you for sharing and congratulations on your well earned success. Enjoy your 50s!

Thank you, Rosey.
  • cowboy48
    This has been my first full week of maintenance. I guess it went pretty well- I didn't gain-lol - I am still 175 pounds at 5'11". I am still not eating enough but I have added some calories. I am not sure how fast to go to my maintenance limit but I will try to get there in a month or so. My maintenance calories are over 2000 and when I run it goes up to 3000. I can't see myself eating that much- I don't think it is possible anymore- at least not in my current mindset. I don't know if other maintainers have the same problem but from comments I have seen on this forum and others everyone seems to think the same thing - " Maintaining is harder than dieting"-lol. You don't get the thrill of seeing the scale go down after a week of eating right and exercising- your goal is to stay the same. Tough to do this for a long time I guess. No reward for all the hard work. I am going to have to set some new body image goals along with running goals. I thing more toning and adding some muscle is one goal although it is hard as i am running at least 5 days a week and need to take a rest day or two. I have added one weight training day but I run 6K first-LOL.

My training for my 1/2 marathon is coming right along. One thing that hasn't changed is my love for running. I can't see to get enough of it-lol. The clinic that I am in hasn't reached my current training schedule yet so I have been training on my own on some days. Once the clinic catches up to me I will be running full time with the clinic..
  • cowboy48
    I have been maintaining for a about a month now. I still am scared to add too many calories to my diet in case I gain weight. I am still 175 pounds and am eating between 1700-2000 calories. I am not eating any junk on a regular basis although I have been adding pretzels and salsa to my snack list. Not really that bad for you - high in salt I know but I am careful on portion control.

I am still training for my 1/2 marathon and the weekly slow runs are starting to get into some serious distances. I start 10K runs now on Sunday. I can run them with no problem so far but will see how I do at 16 or 20Ks.

I am also part of another forum and some of the maintainers on that site are having some problems with sliding back into old habits and it scares me to death. I DON"T want to slide back and gain my weight back. Maintaining is in fact much harder than losing. There is no reward for maintaining. You don't get to see the scale go down- you just want it to stay the same. How do you long time maintainers do it? Are you that conscious of it all the time? Do you cheat occasionally? Am I going to be counting calories for the rest of my life?
  • cowboy48
    How are the maintainers out there doing? Any tips? Any maintainers out there that gained again so that they are trying to lose again. I am just trying to get an idea of what works and what doesn't.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!