"Great Value" or Walmart brand

Options
I'm just curious if anyone else buys it.. lol. Most of my stuff is Great Value brand, I've been trying to save money & have switched over to this brand recently. Since doing it I've noticed that some of their stuff tastes exactly the same as the name brand stuff & some doesn't even compare! It's just gross. If you're also a Great Value brand purchaser what do you like & what do you avoid? The WORST Great Value product I've come across is their fake cheez-its! So so gross. I just tossed them because they were nasty as hell! I love the version of almond sweet & salty granola bars! I also find that their version of fiber one oat & chocolate bars don't compare to the real ones. Sooo what do you guys get Great Value & what do you avoid or hate that they make? :)

Replies

• tmthorn0927
    tmthorn0927 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    we hate their milk and my husband hates their peanut butter..
  • Krizzle4Rizzle
    Krizzle4Rizzle Posts: 2,704 Member
    Options
    I agree on the cheese crackers. They are so gross! And I love me some cheese crackers! I really like their unsweetened apple sauce.
  • Oompa_Loompa
    Oompa_Loompa Posts: 1,099 Member
    Options
    walmart brand baby! its either great value or equal lol
  • nerdyandilikeit
    nerdyandilikeit Posts: 2,185 Member
    Options
    I buy Kroger brand of everything I can. Most things aren't different enough to matter to me, and some stuff is even better to me! kroger carb master strawberry pomegranate yogurt is my favorite yogurt, EVER! Ironically, I thought the great value cheese its were just fine :)
  • liz827
    liz827 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    The unsweetened apple sauce is good and so are the 100% egg whites.
  • A_New_Horizon
    A_New_Horizon Posts: 1,555 Member
    Options
    I like some of their brand dinners (which is what I bring for lunch). It is just an off brand of Lean Cuisine or Healthy choice.
  • eeeekie
    eeeekie Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    I'm a brand wh*re but the stuff I have gotten like their cheese (cottage cheese) wasn't too bad.
  • deb968
    deb968 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I love Love LOVE the apple and cin. Oatmeal sugar free.
  • michelletyler38
    michelletyler38 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Their shredded cheese tastes fine but if you don't use it quick it molds together & gets watery. Very odd! My parents always my Kraft or Sargento & it never does that! I get their unsweetened apple sauce too & their milk lol.
  • bjshields
    bjshields Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I don't know about Walmart, but what in the WORLD did you do, girl!? You look fantastic! And where is that 23 more "pounds to go" going to come from, your fingernails?:smile:
  • michelletyler38
    Options
    Oh I love their strawberries & creme oatmeal! I recently bought their fake Ritz & they taste ok but every single cracker is broken or breaks when being taken out of the package which pretty much ruins em :/
  • Jazzart
    Jazzart Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I like the Apple Sauce and the Yogurt is Great!
  • michelletyler38
    Options
    I don't know about Walmart, but what in the WORLD did you do, girl!? You look fantastic! And where is that 23 more "pounds to go" going to come from, your fingernails?:smile:

Lol you are too sweet! I still weigh 182! I definitely have more to lose :)
  • LyndseyMcKnight7
    Options
    I love their sliced american cheese and granola bars are really good too, I like them better than Quaker!
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    I'm a Presiden't Choice shopper myself, but the best Great Value item I buy is their black olives, they aren't mushy and gross...
  • LeonaB17
    LeonaB17 Posts: 304
    Options
    I like their cheese - pretty much any variety. Not a big fan of any of the granola bars though.
  • gojanigo
    gojanigo Posts: 2
    Options
    Good:
    Fruit cups, applesauce, yogurt, trail mix, canned goods, cheese

Bad:
    Macaroni and cheese, tortilla chips, "cheerios"

It's all trial and error, but when you find the stuff that's good, you can save a ton of money!
  • theresnoeggs
    theresnoeggs Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I've never tasted anything "bad" under the walmart brand, but absolutely REFUSE to buy any generic ketchup, mayo, or mustard ROFL!

Only Heinz, Hellman's, French's and Guldens here :laugh:
  • michelletyler38
    Options
    Good:
    Fruit cups, applesauce, yogurt, trail mix, canned goods, cheese

Bad:
    Macaroni and cheese, tortilla chips, "cheerios"

It's all trial and error, but when you find the stuff that's good, you can save a ton of money!

I was hoping this thread could help me out with that! *Regrets buying the great value tortilla chips yestersday.. sigh* lol
  • ruhimaach
    ruhimaach Posts: 171
    Options
    I'm sorry if I sound snobbish, but ever since I started reading the labels, I just can't buy GV stuff anymore. They are definitely cheaper, but the ingredients tell the story. :( I used to buy a lot of GV stuff as a student when I didn't have a lot of money...so I totally understand.

If you must buy GV for everything, then I guess I would suggest that you at least buy organic as far as dairy products go. I buy Silk unsweetened almond milk, which is around $3. But you can get coupons that will give you a dollar off. :) I think most grocery stores send lots of coupons which can be used to lower your grocery bills.