not really fun or chit chat

Oompa_Loompa
Oompa_Loompa Posts: 1,099 Member
edited September 26 in Chit-Chat
2 years ago from may 2nd will be the anniversary of one of my close friends fathers death. What do you say to someone on that day? Like he was young, she's only 24. it wasnt expected. its just tough ;/

Replies

• nmoreland
    nmoreland Posts: 183 Member
    It is a hard time. Unless you have experienced it yourself, do NOT say I know/understand what you are going through. Just say that it is a hard time, and you are there for her if she needs it, and let her be sad
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    You can offer to be a sounding board for that person or simply be there. A friend of mine lost her mom and her mom happens to be buried at the same cemetary as mine and died in the same month. I offered to go to the grave site with her if she wanted to visit.
  • erisfreenici
    erisfreenici Posts: 277 Member
    You can't say anything to make her feel better, but you can be there for her as a friend. Just tell her that you know she's going through a tough time, and that if she wants to talk to somebody or just hang out to get her mind off of it that you're there for her. It's always good to know that we have friends to rely on, and sometimes when we're in a bad place it helps to have those friends remind us of just how much they care.
  • Pangea250
    Pangea250 Posts: 965 Member
    I would say something along the lines of, "Just want to let you know that I'm thinking about you today. Anything I can do for you?" Leave it at that. If your friend wants to talk about it more, she'll let you know.
  • ka_42
    ka_42 Posts: 720 Member
    I would say... I'm thinking of you today and if you want to talk about it I'm a good listener.
  • Carl01
    Carl01 Posts: 9,307 Member
    Hard to ever say but maybe just try to see how she is and perhaps an arm or a hand on her back and just ask if she wants to talk about it.
  • DarkAngel864
    DarkAngel864 Posts: 229 Member
    Sadly, lots of my friends have lost their parents like that. I'd just get a sweet note, or drop a text and let her know you're thinking about her on the difficult day. I'm sure it'll be very appreciated :flowerforyou:
  • cccathyyy
    cccathyyy Posts: 207 Member
    I would say something along the lines of, "Just want to let you know that I'm thinking about you today. Anything I can do for you?" Leave it at that. If your friend wants to talk about it more, she'll let you know.

I would do the same.
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    My mom died almost 7 years ago when I was 25, it was rather unexpected. For the first couple years some of my friends would send me a "thinking of you" card. That was always really sweet and touching....my best friend has offered and gone to the cemetery with me a few times. Just any small gesture to let them know you care is often the best thing.
  • Kirstie_C26
    Kirstie_C26 Posts: 490 Member
    just let ur friend know ur there for her if she needs/wants to talk xxx
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    It's so thoughtful of your to remember and want to reach out! All too often, friends forget that a loss like this is felt deeply on all holidays and anniversaries and don't realize that these can be difficult days for those left behind.

People often fear that they will 'remind' the person of their loss and cause pain, but believe me, your friend is already thinking of her loss.

So go ahead and let her knwo you're thinking of her and her loss. If she wants to talk about it any further, she will as you have opened that conversation. If she doesn't, she won't but she'll appreciate that you remembered thatanniversaries can be difficult.
This discussion has been closed.