Eating less than 1200 calories a day - Suggestions

Options
13»

Replies

• Jester522
    Jester522 Posts: 392
    Options
    errrrr, people, this thread is almost 2 years old.

Can we just populate a list of all the previous threads with the same information and just post that every time someone asks the same question?
  • hollymartin90
    hollymartin90 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    My Dr told me to eat 900 calories a day (max) in order to lose weight. Everything I have read tells me that my body would go into starvation mode, therefore preventing me from losing weight. Any suggestions? I am 5'3 160lbs - goal to get down to 120/125. I am eating no more than 1200 a day currently and have lost 7lbs so far in 1.5 weeks.

I keep reading that if you eat under 1200 calories a day your body goes into starvation mode/unhealthy blah blah blah,but this is the only way ive actually started losing weight!i possibly have a slow metabolism and never ate more than 1500 cals to start.i now eat around 1000-1200 cals a day depending on if i exercise that day and now lose a healthy 1-2 pounds a week.is a 1000 cal intake really bad for ur health??
  • rmw2014
    Options
    This is a message for people surfing in looking for information on having less than 1200 calories per day. There are hundreds of sites with hundreds of people parroting on about how dangerous it is to have less than 1200 calories per day. The truth is this: it is MORE dangerous to be even slightly overweight than to have less than 1200 cals per day.

Some women, like myself, actually put on weight at 1200 cals per day.

Starting a weight loss program is very tough, and when you exercise and think you are doing all the right things and eating all your 1200 calories, there are many many women out there who just don't lose weight on 1200 cals per day. So what do they do? They give up on weight loss.

So those who think they know everything and claim that 1200 cals is the minimum and parrot on about how dangerous it is to go below that, think again. You have no idea how many women have read it and taken your advice and never lost weight and gave up. Think of how dangerous it is for their health when they give up and then continue to put on more weight. Imagine all the health problems and the cost to themselves as well as taxpayers financially. Then you will realise how stupid it was of you to claim - without any basis or scientific research - that 1200 is the minimum amount of calories a woman has to have in a day.

My most successful weight loss period was when I cut down to around 600-800 cals per day and also started exercising. Believe me, I felt on top of the world. At 600-800 cals per day, I was not starved. I did not feel hungry. I felt fine, but most importantly, I lost all my weight - 3 dress sizes down in 2 months. I never gained back, and have been in excellent health according to many health tests many years later. My diet changed for the better too and I have eaten very well due to this success.

Bear in mind - your weight loss period shouldn't be long term, so unless you starved yourself for your entire lifetime, there is no way your body would go into starvation mode unless you eat nothing all day everyday for years and years (which is what starvation is). You must also be in totally good health to reduce calories.

Eat superfoods and nutritional food. Cut out all sugar and unnatural processed foods with preservatives. Eat lots of fish everyday, especially fresh salmon. Eat seaweed. Eat lots of broccoli and your favourite steamed vegetables. Eat lots of salads. The key to weight loss isn't a number - you just have to find what amount of food works for your own body. The rule of thumb is eat less than what you were eating, move more and you will lose weight.