Ready to jump off the crazy train!!

Options
So, I got an email from our library today to let me know that the book I had put on hold... "The 17 Day Diet"... had finally come in. And do you know what? I decided not to go pick it up. I have spent my entire adult life jumping from one new plan to the next. Whatever is the diet of the moment, I run out and buy the book, follow it religiously for weeks and then realize that it consumes my every waking thought and becomes an absolute obsession. I will eat a meal and immediately be planning what the next will be. Eventually I quit because most of those diets aren't something that I can stick with for the rest of my life. I am tired of focusing on what I can't eat, stressing over the rare meal we may eat out and worrying that I won't be able to order something that will work with whatever particular plan I'm on at the moment, and generally sucking the fun out of life. My husband can't even bear to listen when I tell him of the next great plan I'm undertaking because they all run together!

So, THIS IS IT!!! I'm happy for all of the people who are reporting really big losses on the 17 Day Diet plan but I won't be joining them! The library can give the book to the next person in line. I will keep eating regular healthy food in smaller portions. I will keep working out 6 days a week. I will keep logging calories in and out. But I will not continue to let the number on the scale determine how my whole day will play out. I will not focus on what I can't have but on all the great things I can. I will log my foods and forget it for the rest of the day. I won't let one slip up give me an excuse the blow the rest of the day or week. I will do my best to be a normal but healthy eater and set a good example for my daughter so that she doesn't go through life with the same issues that I have!

Danielle

PS I also won't continue to have the belief that the less I eat the more I will lose because after 3 weeks on MFD of eating more calories (exercise calories) I finally lost three pounds, which is three more than I've lost since January when I was following Weight Watchers and then Body-for-Life and not eating enough!

Replies

• jsteras
    jsteras Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Good for you!! I actually was in the same "boat" and was going to go and order it. Then I thought about it and like you have tried every diet out there with the same results. There is no quick way to do this. I will eventually reach my goal, maybe not this year but that's ok because I have been packing this weight on for 20 years and it will take time to come off. I feel 100% better and I currently do not have to take blood pressure meds since joining MFP on March 22nd and that in itself is enough of a reason to keep doing what I am doing.
  • danipals
    danipals Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you are doing great! Congratulations and thanks!

D.
  • olyrose
    olyrose Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Good for you! A lifetime of good habits should be much better than a 17 day diet :) Best of luck to you!
  • Stephaneggs
    Stephaneggs Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Cheers! I second that. I have managed to lose 15lbs eating smaller portions of what I like-I haven't had to give up ice cream, wine, cheese-just monitoring it and taking it down a notch-amazing what portioning out your food can achieve-no deprivation. For the first time in my life, I am in control!

Thanks for posting!
  • MadisonsMom2009
    MadisonsMom2009 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I think this is a HUGE breakthrough and only good things will come from this good luck!!! :)
  • lauz45
    lauz45 Posts: 243
    Options
    Wow you sound exactly like how i'm feeling! I was going to try the Dukan Diet tomorrow and I just thought NO, no more diets! Except I don't have a clue what to do now (i've posted for help in food & nutrition).

Good for you, if you're anything like me, faddy diets just don't cut it long term... :happy:
  • mrs_mouse
    mrs_mouse Posts: 24
    Options
    Yay! I'm feeling the same way right now... ready to stop letting food run my life... not willing to sacrifice my mental health for my physical health, and ready to find the balance!

We can do it!! :D
  • danipals
    danipals Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! It really did come down to realizing that food was controlling my life! I AM back in control!

Good luck everyone!

Danielle