need healthy flavorful mashed potatoes

Options
mrsbuzz
mrsbuzz Posts: 576 Member
I am making meatloaf tomorrow night and I want to make some halthy flavorful mashed potatoes...any ideas how?

Replies

• fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    My mother puts vegetable stock in it to make it more interesting. I'm afraid I am more a ton of butter and salt person!
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    skip the mashed potatoes and make mashed cauliflower instead. We really don't need to potatoes to go with every meal.
  • lunamare
    lunamare Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    My cousin puts a tablespoon of the Spinach Dip mix from Tastefully Simple in hers. I like a tablespoon of their Garlic Garlic.
  • Sarahcuda
    Sarahcuda Posts: 76
    Options
    Minced garlic, garlic powder, onion powder, a little seasoed salt (or omit the seasoned salt and add a little paprika instead), and a lot of basil!
    Or any other seasonings that you like!
  • rfcollins33
    rfcollins33 Posts: 630
    Options
    skip the mashed potatoes and make mashed cauliflower instead. We really don't need to potatoes to go with every meal.

I was about to suggest the same thing, cauliflower can be a great substitute for potatoes, although sometimes the outcome can look pretty interesting (for example, the cauliflower pizza) BUT it is delicious.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    the mashed cauliflower does have a naturally buttery taste. It is really good.
  • kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    try putting peas in and only mashing them a little
  • JulieF11
    JulieF11 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    This recipe got great reviews!

* 2 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and cut into pieces
    * 6 garlic cloves, peeled
    * 1/3 cup fat-free milk, warmed
    * 1/3 cup fat -free sour cream
    * 1/2 tsp black pepper
    * Chives, freshly chopped

Preparation:
    Boil potatoes and garlic cloves in a large saucepan for 20 minutes until potatoes are tender. Drain and return to pan. Add heated milk plus sour cream to potatoes and garlic, and mash with a potato masher until smooth. Use a little more milk if you prefer thinner mashed potatoes. Add black pepper to taste. Garnish with some chopped chives.

Serves 6.

Per Serving Calories 124, Calories from Fat 1, Total Fat 0.2g (Sat 0g), Cholesterol 1mg, Sodium 36mg, Carbohydrate 26.9g, Fiber 3.5g, Protein 3.8g
  • bk2011
    bk2011 Posts: 268
    Options

I was about to suggest the same thing, cauliflower can be a great substitute for potatoes, although sometimes the outcome can look pretty interesting (for example, the cauliflower pizza) BUT it is delicious.

You can do half and half too! That way there are still some potatoes for texture and taste, but much more healthy!
  • navajoon
    navajoon Posts: 355
    Options
    I know this sounds stupid, but Idahoan makes instant potatoes that are actually really good. They even sell them in little single serving variety packs like different flavored oatmeals. All of them are 110cals a serving no matter what the flavor (roasted garlic, loaded baked potato, etc.) And, they're more than enough... not a small serving.
  • Spayrroe
    Spayrroe Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I would sub half of your potatoes for steamed cauliflower and mash it all up together with some skim milk. You can add some low fat cheese and fat free sour cream if you need to amp the flavor. Good spices for in mashed cauliflower/potatoes are some pepper, parsley, celery seed (if you have it).
  • modernmom70
    modernmom70 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I cooked mine in chicken stock and reserve some to mash them with.
  • starboardzor
    Options
    Woah.. I don't think I could ever give up potatoes! I once roasted a head of garlic in the oven (wrap in tin foil and throw it there for awhile) and mixed that in. Fresh roasted garlic is amazing!
  • cccathyyy
    cccathyyy Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Half potato, Half Cauliflower is to die for! :) With a little I can't believe it's not butter spray, salt, pepper, and garlic! You can't go wrong!
  • btmixon
    btmixon Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Christine1110
    Christine1110 Posts: 1,786 Member
    Options
    How about sweet potato...baked or mashed. They are loaded with a sweet flavor.
  • Jennplus2
    Jennplus2 Posts: 984 Member
    Options

Add a pinch of garlic and it is really yummy! Don't tell and they will never know it's not potatoes.
  • igora_soma
    igora_soma Posts: 486
    Options
    Adding nutmeg is a nice change too. I like the idea of half cauliflower and half potato :)
  • tiffany_reis
    Options
    Mash tons of garlic... the stuff tastes SO good... then mix in a fake butter and fat free milk.... awesome

4632107.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • wendyleach
    wendyleach Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    try mixing fat free sour cream and onion soup mix and putting that in instead of milk and butter my kids love it