Shirataki Noodles

Options
Who here has tried them? Love them ? Hate them? Where did you buy them?

Replies

• lunamare
    lunamare Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    A few of my girlfriends tried them and hated them, so, I haven't tried them. I know one girl who says that she likes them, but, I have no clue what she's comparing them to or how she's cooking them.
  • xaintes
    xaintes Posts: 129
    Options
    They're actually quite good - I honestly couldn't tell the difference between them and normal noodles but I was cooking them in a rather heavily flavored Indian sauce.
  • Caharleygirl
    Caharleygirl Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    bump...
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    I've tried them, I liked them, they're an unusual but not unpleasant texture. The ones I got didn't smell fishy (a common complaint) but mine had to be stored as fresh in the fridge so that might have made the difference. Theyre not totally calorie free despite the claims but they are very low at about 10 calories per portion. I got mine from the big asian supermarket in Birmingham...you can get them from the Japan centre (use google for their website)

They are totally flavourless so will take on the flavour of what you cook them with, I've tried them in a soy based stirfry and used them instead of spaghetti in a bolognaise sauce..went equally well. The texture is more chewy than noodles or spaghetti, not rubbery but its the closest description I can give, there is also a slight crunch...its really hard to describe them!:ohwell:
  • chrissym78
    chrissym78 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    I get them at Kroger or the health food store in the refrigerated section. I do like them despite very strongly disliking tofu, lol! Rinse them and simmer them a few mintues in the sauce and you'll never miss the pasta :)
  • lilybug13
    lilybug13 Posts: 154
    Options
    I like them , but my boyfriend thinks they're weird. I had them with chicken and vegetables and sauce and he had them with only sauce, and I think they would be a little strange if all they had was a little sauce.

They are kinda slimy, but with the right textured stuff mixed in, they are not very different from regular pasta. I bought them online at miraclenoodle.com
  • TrainerRobin
    TrainerRobin Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    I have tried them, in both of their shapes, and used the recipes on the packages which I thought were good (well, okay but a good deal for the calories). The fettucini alfredo was okay -- my sister thought it was "ucky." LOL Hubby didn't really like it either. My daughter thought it was okay.

The pasta has a bit of a "bite" to it. Maybe better described as a "snap" at the end of the bites.

You have to drain it and rinse it and drain it and rinse it (repeat, repeat) to eliminate the funky smell of the water it comes in. The good side of this is that once you do that, all you do is heat it. You don't need to actually "cook" it.

I think it might be good in a strongly flavored base (e.g, a hot and sour chinese soup or curry or ???).

The calories are crazy low for a food that fills you up. The nutrition is nothing to write home about but it doesn't waste many calories so there's not much to lose.

I buy it in the north DFW metroplex area at our Market Street grocery store. It's in the produce section and it's refrigerated (in some stores near the tofu).

It's worth a try if you're not super picky. I'm one of those who doesn't require 100% authenticity in my food (e.g, I can use reduced fat mayo instead of the REAL thing), so for me it was a hit overall.

Give it a try and let us know what you think.
  • angp7711
    angp7711 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this. I have some sitting in my produce drawer of my fridge waiting for courage to cook them, lol. I was thinking of making them like lo mein. I got mine at Henry's the local produce store.

Ang
  • TheKatzMeow77
    Options
    Thanks for all the reply's! I will definielty try them and take your cooking suggestions. I will let you all know how they turn out! :))
  • DizsJourney
    DizsJourney Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I've tried them twice in the last week.  For clarification i tried the miracle noodle brand, fettucini style noodles. They have zero calories, carbs, etc.  This brand has no tofu in it.  

I wasnt sure what to expect at first, so i did some research.  The noodles i had did not need to be refrigerated and were packaged in a fishy smelly liquid. I rinsed the noodles really well and boiled them for a couple minutes.   I let them dry on a paper towel for a minute or so.  My understanding is that at this point, the noodles should be put in a hot dry pan for a minute or so to help dry them out.  It changes their texture so theyre closer to what we are used to with pasta.  I have not tried that yet & will be doing it with my next batch.  

I added mine to a can of diced tomatoes that i seasoned & let boil down some to thicken it.  I prefer that to spaghetti sauce.  I added shrimp & spaghetti cheese like i normally would.  The texture was different.  I little firmer, but chewier or springy than regular pasta. Its hard to describe, but i really enjoyed them.  

The website i purchased mine from suggests that you start with the angel hair style of noodle first.  Apparently the texture is closer to regular pasta than the fettuccine type.  Also keep in mind yhat these noodles absorb the flavor of whatever you are cooking them with.  So allow time for that flavor to absorb, the noodles will not overcook. 

I think this is one of those food items you have to do the research on & try for yourself.  Enjoy!
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Haaaaaaaaaated! They taste rubbery and fishy and wrong. A friend of mine who can't eat gluten bought some to try as a substitute for pasta. They were horrible. Actually, horrible falls short of what they were.
  • Amie_46
    Amie_46 Posts: 60
    Options
    Love them! I tried the Fettuccine noodles with veggie ground round and catelli herb sauce. I was a little skeptical at first considering the smell, but once microwaved and thoroughly drained it wasn't as potent and the sauce covered it up. The noodles themselves are kind of chewy, but I think they are delicious.