What to eat at a Mexican Restaurant?

Options
Tomorrow I will be attending a benefit for a coworker at a Mexican Restaurant. This restaurant isn't a big chain so they do not have a list of the calories in their food. What should I eat to keep the calories down?

Replies

• stanvoodoo
    stanvoodoo Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    Fajitas, no tortillas and easy on the toppings.
  • 2011_4mygirls
    2011_4mygirls Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    chicken fajitas?
  • ccutruzzula
    Options
    I agree and stay away from the chips :), those are a killer
  • ktblueyz
    ktblueyz Posts: 72
    Options
    tortilla soup without the tortilla strips added. its stil yummy that way :) just drink a lot of water to counter all the sodium, and try to stay away from the chips and salsa!
  • fsugirl26
    fsugirl26 Posts: 207
    Options
    I always try to go with a taco salad...just stay away from the shell (even though it's totally the best part) and ask for all the dressings/salsas on the side! Oh and drink a lot of water because I'm sure it'll be packed with sodium!
  • hbarnes1999
    Options
    Chicken fajitas without the tortillas and no sour cream or quacemole do salsa and lots of veggies grilled and you will be fine. I had that yesterday.
  • Anidorie
    Anidorie Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    yummy yummy kids meals! haha i always get those beacause they are about half as much food. that way you wont over eat
  • mcboyd1983
    Options
    See if they have any vegetarian dishes or maybe go with some fish tacos (preferrably grilled but if it is breaded then scrape off the breading with your knife). Don't use sour cream or guac. Either way you'll be high on sodium but those should be the more low cal options (still will be 500+ once you factor in tortillas). Try to stay away from the chips and salsa too if they bring that out before your meal.
  • cheleskids
    Options
    I always get vegetable fajitas. Salsa is a great topper but no chips, queso or sour cream. Enjoy.
  • new_me_9_67
    new_me_9_67 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    This might be against the norm but if it's a lunch thing get up earlier and work out then eat anything you want and just hit the gym again later. if it's for a benefit you should enjoy yourself a little bit. not saying to over do it but hey you want to have fun with your coworkers and not be worrying about what not to eat.

Just my opinion
  • lutzsher
    lutzsher Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    Taco salad, no chips, low cheese and plenty of pico de galo.
  • VegasKC
    VegasKC Posts: 17
    Options
    Have a low calorie snack before you go so you are not too hungry and lose control. :)
  • dmanakho
    dmanakho Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    grilled fish or shrimp. ask for guacamole, no to sour cream.

black beans, brown or wild rice.

Skip tortillas all together. In addition to empty calories, many are made with the use of trans fats.

ask for substitution if needed.
  • SaraTonin
    SaraTonin Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Refried beans can be healthier than Mexican rice calories-wise, so watch for that.

Anything that's not fried and you'll probably be fine. Just estimate as best you can, and as always, grilled fajitas with veggies are a great choice.

Or you can go to the gym and treat yourself to a great meal of whatever you like! Just pay attention to portions as best as you can.