Need some help with calories, please

Options
I started Turbo Fire on April 4th. During the first couple of weeks I lost about 5 lbs. Since then the scale isn't moving. I have lost one inch on hips and one inch on thighs total so far. So it's something but I feel my food is a mess. I'm not good at the whole food thing. I've had an eating disorder in the past and am trying very hard not to go there ever again. So I'm trying to eat more healthy foods but I have limited time to cook. I'm pretty stuck on what to make and now the scale isn't moving either. Can any of you offer some suggestions on how to improve my diet. I believe my food diary is public now.

I do have nachos on Sat nights with my husband. Although MFP counts it as me eating the entire thing, I'm not. Also, Easter was a mess. Other than that my diet is pretty boring. I do drink my water but am not good about logging it all the time.

If you have any questions, just ask and thanks all!

Replies

• lutzsher
    lutzsher Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    I lost the first half of my weight with calorie restriction and eating only clean and healthy food. I then started to incorporate exercise and the scale stopped moving. i had to greatly increase my calories for the scale to move again, plus increase my water to about 10 glasses per day. i would think you should tweak your total daily calories as well.
  • olyrose
    olyrose Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Looking at the past couple days, it seems like you're making good food choices and eating healthy meals. And I see you are a Trader Joe's addict like me, I love everything from there!

I would say, maybe make sure you're eating enough. When you work out hard, you can eat more to keep your net calories up a bit higher. Maybe you could also track some other elements, like sugar or sodium, to see if you are going over in those.

And remember that it does take time for the weight to come off. It's usually faster at first, then slower as you progress. So it might not be that you're doing anything wrong, could just be that it's taking time.
  • SaraTonin
    SaraTonin Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    When you start a new exercise regimen, you can gain up to 4 pounds of water weight from your muscle recovery. Keep it up and keep doing your best, and you'll see results either in inches or pounds!! Good luck!
  • irridia
    irridia Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    eat back your calories burned (didn't look at your diary ;-P) if you aren't already.
    Regardless of what the site says, you should drink half your current body weight in oz of water, you can count other non-caffinated, non-sodium infused liquids, but nothing else. Also you should add at least a 1:1 ratio of water per caffinated beverage.
    Also I've seen awesome results from interval training, most of which came before mfp for me. If I can stop getting sick I'm planning to start that up again and swimming has the added benefit of resistance training. Oh and add that too if you're not doing it already. (I've been slacking in that department) Calorie burn lasts longer and it tends to burn deep visceral fat that is more important for improving health. Also make sure you're getting enough vitD and the Bs. C will help with soreness.
  • DisneyMommy
    DisneyMommy Posts: 281
    Options
    Thank you all for the help. I've changed my diary to show sodium and sugar as suggested. That alone was eye opening! I need to keep track of the sugar since I seem to favor orange juice. Looks like it needs to go!

olyrose, yes I'm a total Trader Joe's nut! I love that store.

I think I'll try adding a few calories to see if that helps. I typically don't eat back my exercise cals since Sat night is nacho night. I guess my mindset is that it'll all even out over the course of the week. Is that incorrect?

One other question, if you exercise late at night do you still eat back your exercise calories during the day or not? I hope that question makes sense.

Thanks again!
  • olyrose
    olyrose Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I've got a Trader Joe's just a few blocks from my house, so I'm always going in there for everything. They have the best options, and their freezer section is awesome!

As far as I can tell, you can't really hold calories over from day to day (go under one day, then over a couple days later) and have it even out. I am still trying to figure it out, but I guess your body doesn't realize that's what you're doing. Like you can't not sleep one night then sleep extra a few days later to cancel it out. You'll still be tired the next day and won't function right - I think it's the same kind of concept.

With eating back the calories, I'm still getting the hang of it too. I've streamlined so many meals, going for low-cal options, that it's hard to bulk them up for exercise calories. BUT - the last two days I've gone significantly under my calorie goal, I've gained weight, so I am a believer in it.

I try to add some extras to each meal, and then have other go-tos, like yogurt, nuts, milk, etc that are around 100 calories for if I really don't get enough. If you know you will definitely be exercising later, then eat extra calories throughout the day. If you aren't sure, then maybe have a couple things on-hand, like a protein shake, in case you do.

One thing though, I don't know how you're tracking your calories burned, but MFP seems to overestimate them. So when eating back calories, make sure you don't over do it.
  • DisneyMommy
    DisneyMommy Posts: 281
    Options
    Thanks again so much for the help. I did up my calories a bit and since doing it I've gone down 2 more lbs. I'm the type of person that has to see it stay there for a couple of days before I'll count it though. Just a mental thing I guess. I appreciate your advice on not holding calories over from day to day. That makes total sense so I will look at it daily from now on.

I need to get a HRM but until I do, I don't go by MFP. I am just using it as a guide but knowing the cals burned are most likely different. I've kept my calorie range between 1200 on rest day and 1400 - 1500 on days I workout with Turbo Fire. Days I do my long run I eat more since I know I'm burning way more.

I wish my Trader Joe's was that close. You're so lucky! Mine is like 14 miles away so I only go once a week. That store has everything and I agree, their freezer section is awesome!