soooo ANNOYED

Options
Vans
Vans Posts: 388 Member
I am somewhat aggravated and need to vent .:explode:

I have been inputting all my food religiously everyday for awhile......BUT for the last 2 weeks I have been comparing the information that others put for food with the nutrition information from the actual products packaging,restaurant pamphlets and from web sites.

for example I had Couscous for diner today and the exact name brand and flavor came up.....but the CALORIES ARE WRONG!!!!! so why do people BOTHER inputting information if its wrong???
this is not only the couscous......

I went out to Swiss chalet and compared the actual pamphlet with the info people inputted....and some foods are just WAY OFF......I'm talking about 50-100 calories off...:noway:

I can understand that everyone's exercise cals are different as we allll have different bodies...but how hard is it to copy something directly....or even copy/paste it from the actual web??
is it just me???

haha ok im done......:wink: thank u for reading my rant :tongue:

Replies

• Vans
    Options
    I am somewhat aggravated and need to vent .:explode:

I have been inputting all my food religiously everyday for awhile......BUT for the last 2 weeks I have been comparing the information that others put for food with the nutrition information from the actual products packaging,restaurant pamphlets and from web sites.

for example I had Couscous for diner today and the exact name brand and flavor came up.....but the CALORIES ARE WRONG!!!!! so why do people BOTHER inputting information if its wrong???
    this is not only the couscous......

I went out to Swiss chalet and compared the actual pamphlet with the info people inputted....and some foods are just WAY OFF......I'm talking about 50-100 calories off...:noway:

I can understand that everyone's exercise cals are different as we allll have different bodies...but how hard is it to copy something directly....or even copy/paste it from the actual web??
    is it just me???

haha ok im done......:wink: thank u for reading my rant :tongue:
  • hnlymark
    hnlymark Posts: 191
    Options
    Yeah, I always double check stuff and then validate it if I find it accurate. But, for example, I use the GNC Wheybolic Extreme protein powder and there were a bunch of versions; all just a LITTLE bit different. I wonder if these numbers change over time for the same product...
  • greysweatshirt
    Options
    It could also be the serving sizes as well. I've added things that have been way off too, but it's because the serving size was entered differently.
  • BetterVersion
    Options
    Yep. I just joined today and had that problem with an item already. It was just a small difference so I didn't worry about it much, but that's why I tend to only eat things I can calculate myself. I didn't, however, find a way to add your own manual calculations to your food journal... is there a way?
  • jamerz3294
    jamerz3294 Posts: 1,824 Member
    Options
    Yeah... ya know what? I also discovered that sometimes the database has incorrect entries. Well, when ya think about it, that is to be expected. You simply can't trust *everything* ya read. However, you can edit items in the database to more properly reflect the values. I think that this is a living, growing, breathing database, and driven by people like you and me. So if something seems not right, then do a gentle edit, and count that as your blessing for the day is all.
  • Vans
    Options
    hmm I duno.....but I also double check...hence why I noticed the discrepancies.....it is possible that products change...
    thank you for responding!! I'll just have to take my time and input things like a big girl:tongue:
  • CrystalBella
    CrystalBella Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    sometimes calories and info change. i've had that happen to me. just correct it. it's okay to do that.
  • Vans
    Options
    mommamccoy there is a way...usually there is a link on the right hand side that says enter your own food which I do very often :smile:
  • BlazinEmerald
    Options
    Things are also quite different from Country to Country. If you look at the American KFC site compared to the Canadian, as well as for Tim Hortons , McDonalds and many others, they are completely different from one another.
  • laurenk182004
    laurenk182004 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    All I have to say is hnlymark is a hotty! hehehe :love:
  • Vans
    Options
    Things are also quite different from Country to Country. If you look at the American KFC site compared to the Canadian, as well as for Tim Hortons , McDonalds and many others, they are completely different from one another.

wow....thats almost scary!!!
  • CrystalBella
    CrystalBella Posts: 848 Member
    Options

Yeh, I've noticed that too. I don't think it's much to get upset or in a fuss about though. These things are going to happen day in and day out on here. There are zillions of people all over the world. Everyone is human and either can make a mistake or the company/country is changing it.
  • Vans
    Options

Yeh, I've noticed that too. I don't think it's much to get upset or in a fuss about though. These things are going to happen day in and day out on here. There are zillions of people all over the world. Everyone is human and either can make a mistake or the company/country is changing it.

aww thank you for being so kind:flowerforyou: .....this is true.....as I said I was just aggravated since it felt like it was many different foods....even almonds!!:tongue:
  • hnlymark
    Options

:blushing: :tongue: :noway: :love: :smooched: :wink: :laugh:

Watch out, I'm emotional...
  • milomoose
    Options
    I find stuff is inconsistent as well but I believe that even though the product name and serving size is the same, the nutritional info is different depending on what country the item was packaged/prepared in. For example, I find the Stouffer's Lean Cuisines produced in Canada, are way different than the American version, and are probably different than the Australian and European versions. They seem to be lower in cals, but higher in sodium and higher Vitamin A.

Different packaging plants, different ingredients, and different regional preferences can alter the end result.

I find a Cadbury chocolate bar produced in Australia tastes gritty, one from Canada/US tastes normal, and one from Europe is absolutely the nicest chocolate in the world. And it's all the "same" product.

Different production, I suppose.
  • littlespoon
    Options

Thats what I was going to say. People dont put in incorrect information on purpose - that doesnt make sense as it would be wrong on their daily calorie count also. Even the difference between eg. Cadbury's in Australia and New Zealand (i am in Aus) are quite different.

You can always put in your own info if you wish.
  • hnlymark
    Options
    Yeah... ya know what? I also discovered that sometimes the database has incorrect entries. Well, when ya think about it, that is to be expected. You simply can't trust *everything* ya read. However, you can edit items in the database to more properly reflect the values. I think that this is a living, growing, breathing database, and driven by people like you and me. So if something seems not right, then do a gentle edit, and count that as your blessing for the day is all.

And, really, that's how I ended up here...I started on sparkpeople where you couldn't fix nuttin'. This site totally ROCKS. Or, as my sister frequently says, its "da bomb diggity". I trust I didn't mispell diggity.
  • Vans
    Options
    LOL i think that's how you spell diggity.....and as I said Im not freaking out....I was just weirded out by how many things were different....as I said before Ill just have to manully input all my cals now....no more shortcuts :sad: haha THANK YOU EVERYONE!
  • hnlymark
    Options

A beautiful twenty two year old lady called ME a hotty!!! Would it be politically incorrect if I bumped this on a regular basis? :devil: Bump.
  • chubbymom
    chubbymom Posts: 164
    Options
    My Calorie King book is my bible. I keep it everywhere. I have one in the car and one in my purse. I just got the 2008 edition today. I will keep my eye, to make sure everything is correct. Thanks for the tip.:smile: