Questions...Questions

Options
Okay
So I bought a pedometer to count steps. According to some website it says with every 10000 steps one can burn 500 calories. What do you guys think??

Another question is I sometimes work out for 2 1/2 hours and that adds up on losing calories therefore adding more calories to my intake goal. There are alot of calories should I be eating up to my goal.

Confused,
Help Me,
Rosie

Replies

• rosiesantos7
    rosiesantos7 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Okay
    So I bought a pedometer to count steps. According to some website it says with every 10000 steps one can burn 500 calories. What do you guys think??

Another question is I sometimes work out for 2 1/2 hours and that adds up on losing calories therefore adding more calories to my intake goal. There are alot of calories should I be eating up to my goal.

Confused,
    Help Me,
    Rosie
  • MumOfADuo
    MumOfADuo Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Well, it takes ABOUT 2400 steps to equal a mile (give or take depending on your stride) so that would be about 4 miles (give or take) and I can walk 4 miles in just under an hour and I dont burn quite that many calories. Calorie burning depends on the pace you walk AND your weight. So if you weigh 150, you will burn less calories than I would at 230.....Actually, when I wear my pedometer to walk and I walk 4 miles it is only about 8800 steps, so I really dont know what to tell you ÜÜ I would think 500 would be high unless you are walking those 10000 steps at a pretty good walk...say at least 4 miles per hour? Anybody else have better answer? It really depends on how long it takes you and unless you walk all 10000 at once, it would be hard to figure that out....okay, I will quit rambling...
    Kathey
    PS You do need to eat the majority of your exercise calories....see banks posts on that...you will go into starvation mode otherwise...
  • marshall153
    marshall153 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Yeah its quite hard to determine, I got one and then decided to get an HRM. I used mine for the first time today and I LOVE it! HRM stands for heart rate monitor. It measures your heart rate and the one I have calculates calorie expenditure. You never have to muck around with exercise calorie counters on the net and you get an accurate number. You should look into them. I think everyone should have one!! LOL I'm gonna talk about them for days yet. Contact me if want to ask me something:flowerforyou:
    Good luck!
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,783 Member
    Options
    There are two different ways you could count those steps: The preferred way is to change your profile to "lightly active". Mine is at this setting. I average 8000 steps without exercise. Another way is to subtract what would be average for you (for most people it's 4-5000 steps a day) and count the rest as a 2 mph walk for 2 miles (or 60 minutes) for the other 5000 steps.

I'm an exercise junkie, and even for me 2.5 hours seems excessive. What are you doing? Remember, you'll have to keep doing it the rest of your life if you want to keep the weight off.
  • rosiesantos7
    rosiesantos7 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    2 1/2 hours...sometimes...I walk when I have a break from work in half hour increments. I do cardio for one hour, I do abdominal crunches, twists and other strength training activities.