Feet problems while doing cardio

Options
So lately I've been starting my workout on the elliptical and around the 10 minute mark my feet start to get a little tingly or just feeling week. I push through to hit the 15 min mark, but would eventually like to go further. Then I typically lift weights for 15-30 min depending on the day, then finish with a 20 min bike ride. While I'm biking my feet start to cramp in the arch, The funny thing is on the elliptical it's pretty much my left foot and while biking it's my right foot.

Any ideas what could be going on? I have an appt with my doctor, but that's a couple weeks away and I don't want to lose my momentum in the mean time!

Thank you!!

Replies

• fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you don't have good fitting shoes. The tingling suggests they are laced too tight and the pain that you don't have enough arch support in them.
  • Eskimopie
    Eskimopie Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I do too...are you flat-footed? I am nearly, that's the only thing I can think of that's causing it. For me, I've just powered through it and made sure I was wearing proper shoes for me (in my case, I avoid padded, fancy shoes and use simple walking shoes to work out in.) It helps and over time the arches seemed to cramp less. But I'm no doctor and I'm interested in what she/he has to say about it! Keep us updated!
  • waverly9876
    waverly9876 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I get that due to being recently paralyzed. I was asking our apts personal trainer and she said that if your arch is hurting, you need to stretch it.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    It could be that your feet are just out of condition and need time to strengthen. Also, as mentioned, your shoes may be too tight.
  • JustBill
    JustBill Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I started getting foot pains after the elliptical as well and developed plantar facitis... heel spurs. You want to make sure you stretch properly before working out and make sure you have good arch support.
  • TNAJackson
    TNAJackson Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    I would get some insoles for your shoes and see if that helps.
  • stanvoodoo
    stanvoodoo Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    Ask Dr. could be circulation!
  • zacherybinx
    zacherybinx Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's anything to do with shoes...everyone in my family 4 of us have the same issue at different points in the workout on elliptical. I've tried everything from just wearing socks, to slippers, to tennis shoes and they all have similar results. I've learned to just try and keep wiggling my toes every so often and that has seemed to help.
  • Packerfan23
    Packerfan23 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    When that has happened to me, it was because I had my laces tied to tight...when I loosened them up, tingling went away! :smile: But if that doesn't help, then the Dr should be able to help you out.
  • luppic8
    luppic8 Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    I was having the same problem as you, but the tingling was right where my toes connect to my foot. I recently purchased some Dr. Scholl's toners (like the sketchers brand for toning legs and bum) and I no longer feel the pain in my toes/feet. I wear them when I work out on my elliptical and can totally go the distance without any discomfort.
  • jmgj27
    jmgj27 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I get tingling sometimes on the elliptical and it goes away if I make sure by shoes aren't laced too tight. Plus I wear Asics to work out in and they are absolutely fantastic - I'd recommend them highly - I used to have all manner of foot and lower leg problems (foot cramps, shin splints etc.) until I switched to Asics and (touch wood) I've been pretty much asymptomatic since.

It's also true that you may need to work on strengthening your feet - calf raises can be good as can calf dips (where you stand on something raised from the floor and then move backwards so only the front part of your feet is on the raised platform and dip your heels up and down). Also stretching is good - try the 'good feet, naughty feet' stretches where you point and flex your feet - 20 of each should work fine.

7011311.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • donicagalek
    donicagalek Posts: 526
    Options
    When I started here about a month ago (and just started picking up a workout routine) I wound up mildly injuring my feet and legs. Because I have MS this mild injury caused pins and needle numbness from my feet to my knees and paralyzed small muscle sections in my thighs and buttocks (I could walk, but I stumbled sometimes and workouts made me trip over my own feet. Core muscle workouts made my stomach and intestines numb. Basically I was a mess.

I'm almost out of the woods with just some mild pins and needles in my feet and calves. So, I would imagine you may need a month to get used to things.
  • ladybug1009
    ladybug1009 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    My feet start to get numb feeling when I am on the elliptical but to avoid this I go forward a certain amount of minutes, then go backwards a few minutes. This has helped a lot with reducing my feet getting tingly.

Maybe something could be pinched? I would definitely talk to a doctor about it!
  • PrfctGdess
    PrfctGdess Posts: 257
    Options
    On the elliptical (I don't know about the bike):

When I've noticed tingling in the balls of my feet/toes, its been because I'm shifting my weight forward too much. Try concentrating on keeping your weight more evenly distributed across your feet instead of rocking it all forward on the balls of your feet/toes. That is also why occasionally going backward on the elliptical instead of always going forward makes a difference; it forces you to shift your weight differently.

As an aside/similar topic, I have been using the Sketchers Shape-Ups for a couple of months now, and i LOVE them! I have no idea if they're actually shaping my legs/helping me lose weight, but they're super comfortable. I personally know at least 3 other people who used to have major foot problems (each different issues) and the Shape-Ups have either significantly improved or all but eliminated them. I'm not claiming it will fix all problems, but if you're looking for relatively inexpensive options to help your feet, you might give them a try. :)