The secret to success... or is it?

Options
Starting a debate thread to answer the following question:

Is intrinsic or extrinsic motivation most important in successful weight loss and maintenance? Just so we're all on the same page, how I define intrinsic motivation is being motivated by things within yourself, like feeling healthy, to feel better, to be proud of yourself, etc. Extrinsic would be to look better for a spouse, to live longer for your children, for an upcoming wedding, etc.

I'll post my thoughts on it later in the thread, too. Interested in hearing others' thoughts. This question came to me after reading numerous posts and blogs recently.

Looking forward to hearing from all you amazing folks!
D.

Replies

• natskedat
    natskedat Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    I'm motivated intrinsically. I want to feel healthy. I want to look healthy. I don't want to be limited by my body. I want to have a lot of energy and lust for life.

I'm also motivated extrinsically. I want my husband to be attracted to me. I want to set a good example for others. The ultimate motivation for me is to be around for my grandkids and great-grandkids they way all four of my grandparents have been for me. They're 88, 89, and two are 90. I feel obliged to my children's children to be there for graduations, weddings, and births. I don't want to miss it because of self-abuse or other things I can control. I want to LIVE my life. I don't want to miss it.

I don't know if I'd be able to pin down which is most important. I think the key ingredient is feeling worth the time and love it takes to get and stay healthy. It starts from within. Nobody can "make" you do it. Whatever keeps you on that path (extrinsic or intrinsic motivators) seems up to the individual.
  • Missevanston
    Missevanston Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I definitely am motivated intrinsically! However, I also want to look good and be there for my kids!
  • fat_beyonce
    fat_beyonce Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Intrinsic there's no doubt about it. If it's extrinisic it's not likely to be maintained as it's generally just a diet rather than a lifetyle change which is the difference which separates people that maintain their weight and people who put it back on. Behind gaining weight there's almost certainly a psychological issue somewhere and that needs to be dealt with when dieting
  • messyhare
    messyhare Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking I lean towards the intrinsic motivation more so than the other.

I think for me, it's a more long lasting motivator. The other stuff comes and goes too quickly & often times are never motivating enough to even reach my goal!

This new way of looking at things (new to me) has been the longest motivator I have ever experienced. Whatever works, this happens to work for me!
  • Dippydog
    Dippydog Posts: 154
    Options
    I don't know what you want to call it, but.....I am getting skinny so I feel better and look hot in case I have to divorce (or strangle) my husband for any of his wrong doings in the future. :laugh: :wink:
  • MochaMixAZ
    MochaMixAZ Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    I've got both.

My ultimate goal is intrinsic (and selfish) - I want to be healthy so I can enjoy my life.

However, my mini-goals are frequently external. I do want to walk around our pool confidently this summer. I want to fit into a new piece of lingerie I bought and hope to traipse around in next month.

So, I think the key is really intrinsic. As others have said, other motivation is at the risk of being "just a diet."