What am I doing wrong

Options
for the last 3 weeks i've been weighting the same 195 or gaining .5lbs, I workout harder the next week and same results, what I am doing wrong?? I don't go over my goals(including workout calories) i'm working out 90 mins a week....what the heck is wrong??? oh i'm soooo frustrated :cry: :cry:
I need help...pls....somebody....

Replies

• Pineapples
    Pineapples Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    for the last 3 weeks i've been weighting the same 195 or gaining .5lbs, I workout harder the next week and same results, what I am doing wrong?? I don't go over my goals(including workout calories) i'm working out 90 mins a week....what the heck is wrong??? oh i'm soooo frustrated :cry: :cry:
    I need help...pls....somebody....
  • shivers
    shivers Posts: 53
    Options
    I would love to have some advice for you, but I feel like I'm going through the same thing!!I was losing weight so steadily and now i've gone up half a lb in the last few days, why?!!?!! I've been staying to my limits and exercising every day!! Why can't the weight just come off?!! :sad:
  • obliged
    obliged Posts: 465
    Options
    ok firstly, if you've just started out the first few lbs come off quickly and easily (as you probably would have noted)
    here's a thread to help you explain it better
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/9433-expectations

also, i assume you're making sure you're eating all your allocated calories (including your exercise calories) and that by "not going over your goals" includes such things as fats and sodium?

as for the gaining, are you sure its just not that time of month?
    otherwise, sometimes it just happens, which sucks as we all know:grumble:
    but fear not! if none of this makes sense, or helps any, dont worry, the smarter ones will be on later

PS oh yeah forgot, try also measuring certain areas of your body, even though you dont lose weight you still may be losing cms and not know it
  • FUZZBUZZ4
    FUZZBUZZ4 Posts: 334
    Options
    I KNOW EXACTLY what u mean!!! i am going up and down the same 3 pounds for a month now and i am working out harder than ever and being really good with food! but we have to remember that the closer we get to our goals the harder it becomes to reach those goals! stick to it plateau's really suck but we will get through it!
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    weight flucuates a lot and there are many things that could be slowing your losses. Monthly time is a biggie... it always makes me gain. Another is stress. You just need to stick with it. you'll get through.:flowerforyou:
  • rheston
    rheston Posts: 638
    Options
    Might I suggest that you back off on the calories to stay below the exercise bonus calories you get for working out and see how that works. Pay attention to your bodies demands (not your minds desires) for food until you find the right balance.

After you read through the link provided by obliged I would also suggest you go to this as the follow up and to work out a balance in your eating/exercising habits accordingly:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/22679-the-definition-of-insanity

Hang in there because it eventually does work.
  • PhotographerOfNature
    PhotographerOfNature Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    I know what you are talking about exactly. Read my thread from a couple of weeks ago.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/21300-please-look-at-my-food

I was at 179 for a VERY long time. So, I wrote in and people told me that I needed to up my calories. So I upped them from 1200 to 1290 and then to I think it is 1300 now. Still to low probably. I immediately broke the plateau. I went from 179 to 178, then a couple days later to 176.5. That was on Wednesday of this last week. Yesterday (Friday) I weighed in at 176.5 and this morning I was 175.5!!! And the thing of it is, I went over my calories yesterday by about 200. I ate a little over 1500 calories.

I don't think you need to exercise harder, I think you need to eat more. More good foods not twinkies though. :bigsmile: Give it a try!
  • PhotographerOfNature
    PhotographerOfNature Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    Oops! I just looked at my caloric allowance for the day and it is 1390, not 1300. But, really, I think you should give it a try. Banks and a lot of other people encouraged me to up my calories and I am so thankful for the help and support, because it worked! :drinker:
  • Poison5119
    Poison5119 Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo

Here are two good posts to read and bump so you have them to refer back to. There are several more that are good reads but I am trying to find them (Avoiding Plateaus is the one I'd like to find for you). This may help you figure out how to tweak your program so that it works for you.
  • agfried
    agfried Posts: 1
    Options
    I suggest you measure yourself every week, keep track of inches lost. You don't say what you are doing for exercise, so I am assuming you're doing at least 3 weight training sessions of 15 minutes a week. That could account for the scale numbers (gaining muscle is a very good thing). Remember, weight training is what REALLY changes the shape of your body. Muscle burns more calories!
    I don't know about the number of steps or using a pedometer. I just get out there and walk 5 miles 6 days a week. That's what has helped me lose 26 pounds. Sure, some days I can only do 2.5 miles. I keep track of my pace, and I have improved my speed (to keep my heart rate up) by alternating jogging and walking. SOme day I hope to be able to continously RUN! MY weight lose has been slow, the first and foremost thing about getting fit and losing weight is... BE PATIENT. The second most important thing is write down/keep track of EVERY thing you put in your mouth.
  • Poison5119
    Poison5119 Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
  • jlwhelan1
    jlwhelan1 Posts: 664
    Options
    Others have given you excellent advice.

Also, are you getting enough sleep?
    Under lots of stress?
  • Pineapples
    Options
    ok firstly, if you've just started out the first few lbs come off quickly and easily (as you probably would have noted)
    here's a thread to help you explain it better

also, i assume you're making sure you're eating all your allocated calories (including your exercise calories) and that by "not going over your goals" includes such things as fats and sodium?

as for the gaining, are you sure its just not that time of month?
    otherwise, sometimes it just happens, which sucks as we all know:grumble:
    but fear not! if none of this makes sense, or helps any, dont worry, the smarter ones will be on later

PS oh yeah forgot, try also measuring certain areas of your body, even though you dont lose weight you still may be losing cms and not know it

Yes I did read that thread, and even though i started fresh a month ago, i've been gone over the whole thing of loosing lots of weight the first couple of weeks, it just that everytime I reach 195lbs...i get stuck there for weeks/months....
    no not going over fats sodium maybe..i'll add that to my list of things i keep track off.
    No it was not that time of the month =(
    and no i haven't measure myself... I will get that done too
    Thanks so much for the pointers
  • Pineapples
    Options
    Might I suggest that you back off on the calories to stay below the exercise bonus calories you get for working out and see how that works. Pay attention to your bodies demands (not your minds desires) for food until you find the right balance.

After you read through the link provided by obliged I would also suggest you go to this as the follow up and to work out a balance in your eating/exercising habits accordingly:

thank you I read it through....and I have tried both, staying under and over but no results...I will be keeping track of my carbs that might be my problem.... Thanks so much again.
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options

thank you I read it through....and I have tried both, staying under and over but no results...I will be keeping track of my carbs that might be my problem.... Thanks so much again.

Keep chuggin along girl. The more things you rule out, the closer you will be to finding the solution. That's how we all have to do it. Try some small change, give it time to work, and revert and try something else, eventually you'll find the right mix. And when you do, WATCH OUT, cuz it'll just start happening like magic for ya! :flowerforyou: