This may be a dumb question

Options
But I'm going to ask it anyway...I'm making speghetti tonight and the serving size is 2 oz. Is that before or after it's cooked?

Replies

• Katbaran
    Katbaran Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Before cooking unless it STATES that amount is cooked. It is usually dry, before cooking so its easier to measure. Enjoy!
  • Ashtrizzle
    Options
    Generally the package will tell you, but if not then it means unprepared.
  • RaeN81
    RaeN81 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Not really a dumb question--I've seen plenty of people ask it on here.

Before because difference cooking times will soak up different amounts of water. Pasta is generally a weigh before food unless specifically stated on the packaging.
  • alex215
    alex215 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    pasta serving sizes can be tricky so what i do when i cook pasta is cook 4 servings. so i will weigh out 4 servings when the pasta is dry. then i will cook all of it thendrain it and weigh it again when its cooked and divide the weight by 4 and that will give you one serving.
  • time2runnn
    time2runnn Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    2oz is the uncooked/dry weight. 2oz cooked is about 1 cup.
  • joannbuist23
    joannbuist23 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    pasta serving sizes can be tricky so what i do when i cook pasta is cook 4 servings. so i will weigh out 4 servings when the pasta is dry. then i will cook all of it thendrain it and weigh it again when its cooked and divide the weight by 4 and that will give you one serving.

I like this idea, usually I'm cooking for at least 3 but tonight it was just me so I only had to cook the one serving. Thanks!
  • brandilea_willoughby
    Options
    not a dumb question, i didn't know either, glad I clicked :)