how do i increase my iron?

Options
hi there been feeling really tired in the afternoon and getting grumpy....suspect i have low iron but am struggling to get the level up to my recommended daily intake. dont eat much red meat as we are on a budget and all the fatty stuff (mince and sauasages) i generally dont eat which is good for my waist but not my iron levels. have had low iron in the past so this is what im thinking i have....started taking iron tablets any other suggestions?

Replies

• funkyspunky871
    funkyspunky871 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    Spinach is a good source of iron.
  • Angela4Health
    Angela4Health Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    More than 50% of my iron comes from my protein drink. I drink EAS myoplex lite.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Iron supplement will work., but I also do the EAS protein drink.
  • CookieCatCatcher
    CookieCatCatcher Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    http://www.vrg.org/nutrition/iron.htm

That should help! :bigsmile:
  • Peep_chic
    Peep_chic Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    barley grass in powder, green leafy veggies, beans. When I think I might be low for a day I have a supplement but of course is better for your body to absorb it from real food.
  • jakejacobsen
    jakejacobsen Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I use the protein shakes, as well as I have to still take 2 iron pills which I take in the morning. Most womans vitiams include Iron also.
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    I take supplements and they make me feel awful...

My doctor is mean.
  • fodorl
    fodorl Posts: 12
    Options
    Dark green veggies!! Bananas also!!
    Google foods high in iron!!!
  • Superdupermom
    Options
    Meat, spinach, vitamin pills, protein shakes! your symptoms could be something else all together, I have had low iron my whole life until i started dieting...weird but true! so please get checked out!
  • bridgetzc
    bridgetzc Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Add iron to one of the nutrients that is tracked daily. This will help you track your iron consumption. You have to be cautious about using iron supplements because they can cause constipation. Using cast iron skillets and cookware can add to your iron intake. Your body more readily absorbs iron from animal sources than vegetation. I would go to the doctor to get a definitive diagnosis. You could have an undiagnosed issue with your thyroid or another issue. Getting your blood work done will tell you whether it is your iron or some other underlying issue.
  • 33nessy
    33nessy Posts: 104
    Options
    thankyou for all your advice....still pretty sure its my iron not something else as i added iron to my intake on mfp and im supposed to have 100 and am often having about 30 or less, so yup i have succomed to shakes to get the iron up and have discovered that one bowl of special k is more that half my iron intake for the day.....who knows when i should start noticing a difference?
  • ablueskier
    ablueskier Posts: 104
    Options
    Multigrain Cheerios give you a full days serving. Lots of iron in lentils too. I also take an iron supplement on top of everything I eat and on top of my multivitamin because food alone wasn't absorbing enough into my body.
  • Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    Spinach is an AWESOME source of iron, but not everyone likes spinach. When I was having iron issues, my doctor told me to take iron supplements but to take it with orange juice. Something about the acidity of the orange juice helps your body to actually absorb the iron. Another good option is Flintstone vitamins with iron. Yes, they're for children, but adults can take them, too...that's what the nurses at the plasma center always told me to do when I was donating plasma and my iron was consistently too low.
  • candicemaechling
    candicemaechling Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Malt o meal has a ton of iron
  • Tzavush
    Tzavush Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Easy way to check iron levels without blood work is to look at the colour of the inside of your lower eyelid or inside your lower lip.
    If the pink is pale its a good indication that your iron is low systemically. The more red the colour of your mucous membranes the higher the iron. (Iron binds to haemoglobin to make your blood deeper red)
    Low B12 can have similar symptoms of low iron as well and usually it is recommended to increase both when your are fatigued easily.
    Blood work is always a wise thing to do though just to be sure.

It will take a few weeks at least to notice a significant change.
    Also if you take a supplement be sure to avoid taking it with dairy as the milk etc. can decrease the level of absorption. Glass of OJ is always the best to take it with as it helps the body with uptake.
  • almlln
    almlln Posts: 1
    Options
    Iron is not absorbed very well when it is taken at the same time as calcium, so if you are getting it from cereal that you eat with milk, you might not be absorbing the full percentage that it says in the nutritional information. On the other hand, iron absorption is aided by vitamin C, so if you take your iron with some fruit your body has a better chance of absorbing it.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    actually, spinach isn't a great source of iron, it's ok, but not great. If you do eat spinach, eat it with a vitamin C rich food as well as the iron in spinach is not easily absorbed on it's own and it's high in calcium and oxylate acid (which binds to iron and keeps it from being absorbed) so doesn't do a good job in the body delivering iron.

Better would be broccoli if you like it. There's less iron, but broccoli is high in vitamin C as well (and lots of other really good stuff).

course the best is dark meats like dark meat form chicken or turkey, red meats, eggs, dark green veggies (some of them, you gotta research which ones are best) and some whole grains (most meats give you some heme iron, but darker is better in this regard).

this is a very short and incomplete assessment of iron though, there's plenty of resources out there for you to google.
  • 33nessy
    Options
    Easy way to check iron levels without blood work is to look at the colour of the inside of your lower eyelid or inside your lower lip.
    If the pink is pale its a good indication that your iron is low systemically. The more red the colour of your mucous membranes the higher the iron. (Iron binds to haemoglobin to make your blood deeper red)
    Low B12 can have similar symptoms of low iron as well and usually it is recommended to increase both when your are fatigued easily.
    Blood work is always a wise thing to do though just to be sure.

It will take a few weeks at least to notice a significant change.
    Also if you take a supplement be sure to avoid taking it with dairy as the milk etc. can decrease the level of absorption. Glass of OJ is always the best to take it with as it helps the body with uptake.

just did your test and both my eyes and lip are quite pale...thanks
  • 33nessy
    Options
    :laugh:
    Iron is not absorbed very well when it is taken at the same time as calcium, so if you are getting it from cereal that you eat with milk, you might not be absorbing the full percentage that it says in the nutritional information. On the other hand, iron absorption is aided by vitamin C, so if you take your iron with some fruit your body has a better chance of absorbing it.

lol, never thought about that. knew that iron tabs should be taken with juice and not milk but didnt think of a natural iron source....maybe i could have my special k in orange juice lol
  • Bridgetc140
    Bridgetc140 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Total cereal gives me my entire iron for the day....(and most others).......just a thought.

ETA: Maybe have half an orange with breakfast!