Catabolic foods

Options
There is a lot of talk about foods that are catabolic. This means they burn more calories during digestion than the calories that are consumed. I often wonder, even though I study nutrition, would these calories be considered negative calories? Has anybody seen any information from reputable sources?

Replies

• Naomi91
    Naomi91 Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    I dont see how they could be negative calories.

isnt digestion part of your BMR? So i would think it would be included in there
  • AshleyLauren589
    AshleyLauren589 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    The way MFP calculates the calories you need in a day calories needed for digestion are factored in already, so that although it may technically work out to "negative calories" this is already accounted for.
  • Jenn070608
    Jenn070608 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I had never heard of Catabolic foods until I read your post. So I went online and searched. How interesting. Negative cals from food. A couple of them I am already eating (blueberries and strawberries). I am going to print the list and add some more to my diet. Thanks for the post.
  • sabl3
    sabl3 Posts: 39
    Options
    Yeah no problem, I of course eat a ton of them but I can't find any research articles from the ADA or and other major sources. I have asked various RDs and I get mixed answers. Some consider them freebies while others say you must count every bit of energy that goes in. I do know a PHD in nutrition but right now she's WAY to busy to bother her. I always wondered though. I do know certain fibers such as insoluble ones are not absorbed at all so I question if those should even be counted as well. With all my years of school, I'm still confused haha