Student looking for useful tips!

Frenchiesmiles7620
edited September 26 in Introduce Yourself
Hi everyone! A fellow college friend hipped me to this site today, and I have a lot to say (hopefully some of you can relate)

I'm a senior in college, and have suffered from extreme sloth all four years, and find it difficult to eat properly at my school. The dining hall's "vegetarian" or "healthy" options are usually disgusting (and I am FAR from a picky eater). The salad bar is always open, but I get sick to death of the same old salad (no matter how many combinations of dressing and toppings I try)

I've tried sticking to the following routine

Making sure I have a good breakfast (usually eggs and sausage or bacon if they have it, trying so hard to avoid potatoes-my weakness-and failing)

Sticking to carbs (rice,pasta,potatoes,yes that means FRENCH FRIES) at lunch

Then a protein and several kinds of veggies at dinner (not just broccoli, or salad or corn)

However, when the dining hall offers "pit ham and pinneapples, sweet potatoes, vegan chicken fried steak" on one side and a brownie sundae option on the other side, with unappetizing soups and the same boring salad bar.....WHAT AM I SUPPOSED TO DO?!

I'm broke, and can never afford groceries of my own, otherwise I'd cook every chance I got! Easy peasy. I will be working on campus this summer, which leaves me more time to focus on my body and peace of mind, but I'm afraid that summer will make it easy to fall into those same habits that I would usually do during the school year. Grad school is approaching, and I will live on my own, hopefully with gym access and a bike to ride around on.

I want to lose weight and work to keep it off this summer, and I have graduation coming up at the end of May. While this was a mouthful, I'm hoping fellow college students can give me tips on what I can do for the last 3 weeks, which includes FINALS, sorority events, and whatever else life throws me!

Replies

• Yay for you to get started! I think what has helped me over my first few weeks is getting very familiar with this site and calorie content in food. You will be surprised at what you can eat at the dining hall! Also, exercise (i am not a huge fan but i am doing it and it is paying off!). Pace yourself, get familiar with the site/tools, and get some friends on here to support you! Feel free to add me! Good luck!

5916174.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • curliegirl
    curliegirl Posts: 191
    I am WAY beyond college but my son is a freshman this year. I am not sure from your post if you have access to a kitchen or not. He agrees--dorm food is nasty & repetitive.

One thing we've done is had a freezer cooking day here at home. He then takes those things with him and defrosts them as needed and uses those as his meals. He still eats at the dorm but not very much(he lives on campus but not in the dorm).

Some things he keeps on hand to snack on that are healthy. Yogurt, fruit(mainly apples & oranges), crackers & pb, chips & salsa, cereal.

At my blog(address below), you can see some of the recipes of things we made & stuck in the freezer. I know this doesn't solve your problem but it might give you some ideas.

Kim

http://brush-family.blogspot.com -- look under the recipes tab & go to College recipes
  • CariBgood
    CariBgood Posts: 88 Member
    Hi! I know how difficult it is to struggle with food and weight. I actually hit my bottom about a year ago and gave up watching what I ate or even exercising. It had gotten to the point over the last several months that I quit looking at myself in the mirror because I knew I would not like what I was seeing. It's very difficult to lose weight when you have so many outlets leading you on how to do it. Should I eat this or should I eat that. I eat very little why am I still fat? At the beginning of March I looked at myself for the first time in a long time and decided I was just too tired to think about it anymore. I went to my doctor and expressed that I was fed up, depressed, and the only thing I really knew was that I don't want to feel this way anymore. Fortunately for me the family practice I go to has a nutritionist that I can see for free.

This is what she said:

" I don't care what you eat, you must # 1 eat within an hour of waking up every morning,# 2 all of your meals should be at least 300 calories and not more than 800 #3 do not go more than 5 hours between meal, #4 keep your calorie intake under 2000 per day."

My Fitness Pal has been a tool for the last few weeks where I can actually see how much food I put into my mouth every day. It may seem irritating and a pain the butcus but by logging my calories I can see why I haven't lost any weight. So I have started checking foods before I eat them.

The nutritionist also said that my body is in starvation mode and it does not trust me, I never eat regularly so it holds onto everything I eat because it doesn't think I am going to feed it. Strangely enough this made a lot of sense to me, I rarely eat breakfast I quite often will go several hours in a day without eating and then pig out for dinner.

So here is my suggestion, input all of the required information into this application, find out your allowed calories, keep track of them , and follow those simple rules for 4 weeks and both of us will see in 30 days where we are. It can't be any worse, also don't stress yourself if you go over just take a brisk 30 minute walk and BAM my fitness pal gives you additional calories so you don't feel so guilty about it!

Good luck! You are obviously a very bright woman you can do this!
  • esteeflo
    esteeflo Posts: 1
    Ok here is the lowdown from a nutrition pro if u will lol
    1. eat within hour of waking up...2 ideas for quick and easy breakfast are (a)1.5 cups special k cereal, 1 scoop vanilla protein, 1.5 cup fat free milk (b) 1 scoop vanilla protein, 1.5 cup fat free milk, 2 servings of frozen fruit (dole signature blends are good or frozen strawberries) mix in blender
    2. carbs are friends...especially if you are working out or plan on starting. (get your simple carbs from veggies and fruits and complex carbs from wheat and whole grain carbs, sweet potatos)
    3. eat every 3 hours
    4. protein shakes will be your best friend. i recommend carrying ziploc bags with protein shake servings.
    5. 1600-2000 calories are ideal.
    6. Dont starve yourself because your body will enter starvation mode and start storing fat.
    7. Eat broccoli with every meal it will keep you full and help curb cravings.
    8. drink lots of water...carry a gallon around

........sorry im doing hw and stopped to write this....if you have any more questions ask..........
  • Thanks abroughton1978!

I appreciate the feedback! I was able to work out today and eating went a little better. Since the semester is almost over, its difficult finding the motivation to get out of bed for breakfast, and if I dont up up on time, it's over at 9:30! Our dining hall has such strict dining hours it sucks! But thanks, I will be adding you!
  • Thanks esteeflo!

Unfortunately, I don't have access to some of the things you mentioned because I'm broke LOL and the dining hall doesn't offer many things,AND the dining hours suck so I have to eat what they have. And though I do have protein powder of my own, I don't have access to juice or milk usually and it would be pretty gross with water :( I'm not giving up though! The problem is getting up on time for breakfast (refer to my reply to abroughton1978 for the reason why) I also am not always able to eat every three hours like I should! But I am quickly finding alternatives and I am very positive about the next few weeks! I love this website!
  • Thanks CariBossow!

Thank you for sharing your story! You are gorgeous! I don't skip meals purposely unless it's to grab a half an hour extra of sleep in the morning but I'm going to stop doing that! I will definitely take the advice of taking a brisk walk if I've gone over my calorie intake for the day! Your advice was great and I really do love this website! If only the mobile app worked on my phone :(
  • Thanks CurlieGirl!

Thanks for the tips! I will be checking them out tonight! Maybe when I get paid in mid May I can stock up on those good snacks or grab some from the dining hall. I'm no stranger to cooking but I can't afford my own groceries! I will be trying to change things up this week! My progress will be blogged for sure!
This discussion has been closed.