STRESSED!!

Options
How bad exactly is stress?? I know some people say they tend to lose while others gain weight. I hear stress causes extra belly fat?? Alot of stress at home right now...Im just afraid its going to sabatoge (sp?) the progress I have made so far!!

Thanks!!!

Replies

• SparkleShine
    SparkleShine Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    I am under a ton of stress right now and it definatly is making me gain. Mostly because I'm a stress eater! I have also heard that we release stress hormones that make us cling onto body fat..not sure if it a fact or not. Hang in there!
  • SandyLee1961
    SandyLee1961 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Stress can be different for each person. Some will reach for food, the comfort foods - fried, sweet - others (like me) will not want to eat at all and even the sound of food can make you ill. Of course, not all people try to combat stress with food, they may have other things that they do (unluckily abuse of children and partners will at times be a result of stress). With those that turn to food for comfort, it's quite reasonable to expect them to gain weight. But, if you have someone who turns away from food and continues to do so, even that person can gain weight because that's when your body goes into starvation mode. Not sure if this was the answer you were looking for and by no means am I an expert. :=)
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    I deal with stress on a daily basis---nothing major--just typical women stuff, juggling way more than I can handle--but nevertheless, Im' getting it all done---but has never affected my weight loss--I think exercise is so important to help relieve the stress.
  • SandyLee1961
    Options
    Oh, almost forgot. If you are under a great deal of stress you may want to try other methods (other than overeating or starving yourself) to combat it. Depending on you and your personality, that could be anything from taking a hot bath or going out for a quiet walk. Good luck!
  • cfer843625
    Options
    Thanks! somethings gotta give tho!! I dont have the strength to "fight" anymore!! :indifferent:
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,121 Member
    Options
    Thanks! somethings gotta give tho!! I dont have the strength to "fight" anymore!! :indifferent:

awww hug.gif I hope you get some rest and things get better.
  • hush7hush
    hush7hush Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Do some yoga!
    Or go for a walk in the sunlight. :)
  • SandyLee1961
    Options
    I'm not sure what the stress is (and it's none of my business) - but you may want to either a) confront the problem head on (or person) and talk it out. If it is a person than this probably is the best option. Don't do the blame game though...the "You are causing me stress. because...." Instead, "I'm having a great deal of stress right now due to this issue. What things do you think will help us in dealing with this matter?" The second way is by refusing to "fight" - instead to learn to manage the stress in other ways (exercise, mediation, walking) and bring down your level of stress. Of course, the problem won't stop if you do things the second way. If it's something you CAN'T change through talking or dealing with the issue - then the second way is probably the best.
  • farmgirl88
    farmgirl88 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    When we are under stress, our body produces hormones that help us with "fight or flight." One of these hormones, cortisol, is released in higher doses when we are stressed and is helpful if we can quickly resolve our stress and return to a relaxed state again. However, if you are under constant stress and your body continues to pump out cortisol and other hormones, your body isn't going to be functioning at 100%, and yes, you may hold onto fat until you are able to relax.

Instead of stressing about stressing, try to think of some ways that you can help yourself relax. Here are some ideas:
    * Take 20 mins out of your day to take a soothing bath. (You can get lavender scented Epsom salts for less than $5 at Walmart and they are wonderful for relieving stress).
    * Try to carve some time out of your day to pray or spend time in quiet meditation.
    * Instead of doing high-intensity workouts, try going on a walk or doing yoga/pilates or some other stress-relieving workout.
    * Try keeping a journal and every night before bed writing all your thoughts and feelings about your day--sometimes it just helps to get it out.
    * Make time for yourself and for friends and family.
    * Write a list of all your blessings
  • cfer843625
    Options
    Thanks so much...Its pretty much a constant state of stress...dealing with a "rebellious" teenager! (thats putting it mildly) Honestly not sure how much more I can take...Ive worked so hard at my weight loss and I just know this is going to ruin it all...trying to relax, might work if he stays away!! I know that sounds terrible but thats how I feel at this point... enough is enough!!!
  • SandyLee1961
    Options
    I am the mother of 5 (adopted here in NZ) and mother of 3 (biological). One of those 5 here is a teenager....luckily, thank you God, she's a GREAT girl and I am not having any of the teen stress! Now, let's back up a few years to my bio children? OMG...I'm surprised I survived!
  • cfer843625
    Options
    I am the mother of 5 (adopted here in NZ) and mother of 3 (biological). One of those 5 here is a teenager....luckily, thank you God, she's a GREAT girl and I am not having any of the teen stress! Now, let's back up a few years to my bio children? OMG...I'm surprised I survived!

Wow!! congrats!! You have more patience than I do..lol I just dont know what to do anymore...I didnt have near the problems with my daughter who is now grown! Checking out my options today because Im so over it all!! Thanks again!!! Have a great day!
  • racheljett
    Options
    Hang in there C (I am lucky to know Carla personally) its gonna be ok. You are a great mom, and he will eventually come out of this...."this to shall pass". I don't know what he's doing now, but I do know that he has a good foundation, and he will return to it. Just breathe. I also know you, you are strong, motivated, and capable! You exercise like a fiend! That is going to counteract any cortisol you are producing from the stress. Just like you told me yesterday, "it is a process" just remember your own advise ;) Life has its curve balls, but you are gonna do it! We will do it together!!! Love ya!! XOXO
  • cfer843625
    Options
    Awww thanks Rach!! now you are going to make me cry!!! lol Im glad to have you as a friend!! I am dealing with this as best as I can... and I dont want to mess up what progess I have made so far...I am one of those emotional eaters!! when I am stressed I want EVERYTHING!!