Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Cheating and Lying!! Making up things to cover up the truth!

So does anybody have the urge to lie in their diary? Funny things is it only means lying to oneself. I find myself with the desire to "reduce" the portions in my head - only when there is no nutrition data on the database or the internet. Like, approximating calories to the lower bounds... Or assessing it's maybe 1/2 cup... Or really not wanting to include something in the diary when I ate it!! Also trying to find approximations on calorie burning that suit me better, when I cannot find the precise exercise (i.e. Taerobics)...

I CONFESS!

I do end up including everything, because this is the purpose of the exercise, to be conscious of what I eat. But I do feel like that sometimes, when really, nobody is watching but me.

Replies

• poesch77
    poesch77 Posts: 1,005 Member
    I look at other diaries and they are so basic...I include EVERYTHING and my diary looks like a small novel!! But it keeps me in check and boy, do those calories add up!!!
  • abaker768
    abaker768 Posts: 79 Member
    That is why I made my food diary available to my friends! It's hard, and I know how easy it is to "cheat" yourself.
  • I add everything cause it makes me more aware of what i am doing and my habits, if i have a bad day i can see why and remind myself to not do it again!
  • austepants
    austepants Posts: 356 Member
    Yes I too have fought the urge to lie or doctor up a serving of something to make it look like I had made a better choice. But I never do it. I log everything because yes you are right the whole point is to hold ourselves accountable for the choices we make. Way to go for staying true to yourself!!
  • austepants
    austepants Posts: 356 Member
    That is why I made my food diary available to my friends! It's hard, and I know how easy it is to "cheat" yourself.

I agree!! I know my friends will be looking over my diary and I cannot lie to them they are my support system.
  • luppic8
    luppic8 Posts: 580 Member
    Hahaha! That's so funny! Never crossed my mind. But it's nice to know other people's struggles with journaling. I'm glad you're honest with yourself! Good luck on your weight loss goals!
  • brianpride
    brianpride Posts: 27 Member
    The temptation to cheat is always there but I log it all. I figure I've lied to myself about how much I'm eating for years. It's time to be honest if I'm ever going to get this under control.
  • hush7hush
    hush7hush Posts: 2,273 Member
    I've often wanted to lie about eating more than I actually did, so that it looks okay that I burnt so many calories.
  • I understand and do it in other ways. For example if I have a cocktail I wont have a snack because of the diary and simply put the drink calorie in and as my snack diary. In the end I am faking myself. I tend to make my calorie more than it is even when I am guessing. If something is 60 calorie I will put 100 incase the data base is wrong about an amount. I am hoping that one day after I lost some weight this will be second nature and it will just flow.
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    I feel the urge often! I am totally with you. But I log everything and I really think it's helping me. Check out my weekend intake:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/McKayMachina/view/tattletale-96658

It was out of control. But I stayed honest and it's keeping me in check. :) Cuz, you're right...who really loses when we lie? :wink:
  • theresnoeggs
    theresnoeggs Posts: 188 Member
    Oh I am constantly in this battle with myself.

Just today I felt I needed to "hide" the two servings of cookie dough I had. (How can anyone stay away when there are 4 (FOUR!) 3 lb tubs of Otis Spunkmeyer carnival cookie dough in the fridge??)

But yes, I am constantly battling. I fight every day about adding the sugar I put in my tea, and how much milk I use in it. About not including my nightly craptastic snack. But, it is helping me tremendously by being honest! I cannot believe how much worse I was eating before, though many will still tell me how horrible it still is if I asked for critique.
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Tempting but no i dont cheat or lie in my food diary.
  • lisam724
    lisam724 Posts: 58 Member
    I don't lie if I go over I write a note on why it happened just to remind me.
  • abaker768
    abaker768 Posts: 79 Member

I agree!! I know my friends will be looking over my diary and I cannot lie to them they are my support system.

Yeah, i know. I don't care if I get the "what the hell were you thinking when you ate that" email either!
    Makes you more aware of "true" eating and people can give you hints to help you, not sabatoge you!
  • mericksmom
    mericksmom Posts: 222 Member
    I dont lie Period. I may every now and again pick the lrg number of calories on a food I might eat before I eat it...like say a home made carrot cake... that way I can think before I act and I see the damamge before I take that bite. I know I under write my exersize but that is because there is no watering th garden or stand outside the kids school for an hour chatting with parents it isnt work it isnt really walking but are you doing more than normal yup. And I dont wanna log that any playing I had with my son was a workout because it may ture it into a chore for me later down the road and I want to make sure me and him have fun when we hike, wreastle, walk or run the zoo...etc.
  • tryinghard2012
    tryinghard2012 Posts: 419 Member
    If I lie some times it's the exact opposite. I pre-plan so I put things in my diary that I didn't eat because I forgot. Which isn't technically lying, it's an honest mistake.

I'm really struggling now with meeting my caloric allotment. I find I am eating when I'm not totally hungry. But I think it's just for this week. Hoping to gain my healthy appetite back.

Sorry went on a tangent.... :laugh: