Newbie - Advice!

ukunbanshee
ukunbanshee Posts: 4 Member
edited September 26 in Introduce Yourself
Hi. I've been using the app for a while now, but have only just decided to see the website.
I have always been a very active person. Football (soccer), competitive horse riding, moto-x, running, you name it, I did it. I broke my neck during a cross country horse comp a fair few years back, and during my recovery I put on a lot a weight due to not being able to move.
I have been well for a few years now, but held myself back from being as active as I was. Mental block I guess.
In the last 2 months I've decided enough is enough. I bought a new horse and started riding again, am running/walking nearly daily now, and am teaching myself parkour (amazing fun!).
It is just so difficult getting back into the swing of things. I remember everything being a breeze, and now I have to really struggle to run for even 2 minutes!
I'm sure other people have been through something similar, so my question is this - How do you not give in to defeat?
I LOTHE being so unfit, it feels wrong for me. But sometimes watching telly is so tempting over going for a ride/run when it's cold/wet/windy/blah blah blah.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Banshee.

Replies

• Tydigame
    Tydigame Posts: 2
    I feel much the same way; I started to get out of shape when I was at University, and then when I was completing my graduate work it got even worse. I got into shape for a couple of weeks, then got injured. Then I wouldn't be in the gym for a long time, and then I'd finally get back into shape and get busy at work and be too tired to work out when I got home. The most important thing to remember is that when you were in shape before, you had a lifetime of exercise that got you to that point. Now, you're trying to catch back up to that, and it will take time and perseverance. No matter how light the workout is, it's never a waste. Good luck!
  • ukunbanshee
    ukunbanshee Posts: 4 Member
    I appreciate this, thanks. Best of luck to you too.
  • redsoxy
    redsoxy Posts: 73 Member
    Be careful you don't hold yourself to the same standard that you were at long ago. You need to set new goals and standards for yourself that are different than before. Maybe it's taking up a new sport, new type of work out or different type of class. Something tat doesn't allow your mind to play tricks on you!

It took you awhile to get OUT of shape and it will take you a while to get back IN shape. Just stick with this site and you will find all the motivation and suggestions/help you need.
  • Hey mate, i was the same, fitness slowly slipped away, took me a good solid year to get back on track, i didn't expect it to happen quick which probably helped me stick it out. now im concentrating on my food intake hence the reason i joined here. Theres some great people, support and advice here. You will get there :)
  • Ubiguchi
    Ubiguchi Posts: 14
    After being a waster for 10 years it took me a while to get my fitness back together, but after a couple of years of trying I can happily say that, for me, the motivation came from sensible goal setting.

I now work under the principle of having some long term fitness goals that I work towards (paddle the Devizes to Westminster race before I'm 45 etc), some mid-term goals (complete my 1st triathlon etc) and a number of short term goals (get my 6 mile PB down to 45 mins etc)

I still find it tough to motivate myself sometimes (especially the early morning swims I do in our local river) but that's where I find MFP works well to audit my progress, so if I do let things slip for a while, MFP is a good reminder to get things back on track.
  • daveelamp
    daveelamp Posts: 43
    I personally need to set myself goals, small goals and a greater goal. Be proud of acheiving your small goals however small they are. You will see results if you do eat right and exercise. My biggest thing was getting into a routine, working 8 hours a day as a carpenter is hard work and some days got home and did nothing but watch tele and eat. Now i make sure i take kit to work or go and do something straight after work . Its my routine now and I enjoy it. Joined a gym, met new people and feel great.

Its a journey though, your not going to get there in a week or 2. Try and enjoy it, enjoy the challenge.. no point living in a comfort zone. try and better yourself everyday.

Work hard!
This discussion has been closed.