1200 Calories a day??

Options
After reading a bunch of these posts I am becoming more and more confused. When I punched in my weight loss goals it told me to eat 1200 calories a day. I have been doing that and eating back the majority of my 'workout' calories. I try to be on exactly 1200.

Some people have been saying that isnt enough. I don't have a ton of weight to lose (20 pounds). My lifestyle is not super active. I dont want to be unable to lose weight because i'm not eating enough, but its what this website told me to do. Are other people eating 1200 calories and successfully losing weight? I am particularly interested in people who were a 'healthy' weight to begin with but just wanted to lose that little bit of extra.

Replies

• minburke
    minburke Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I'm not exactly healthy but by no mean overweight/obese. I have the1200 goal intake also. I've been netting 1200 with some days under (those that I burn heaps of cals) and some over, those where I don't go to the gym and am starving). I've started drinking heaps more water and I've lost 1kg (2.2lb) a week.. these past 2 weeks so I'm happy with that. I hope this is somewhat helpful..
  • funfitfoodie
    funfitfoodie Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    Most people seem to find 1500 works better for them, but its really WHAT you eat not how much!
  • ImperfektAngel
    ImperfektAngel Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    My diet is for anyone trying to lose fat but you need to know your body fat percentage, mine is at 32% right now
    I am 194 lbs - 32% body fat = 131.92 lbs, round that off to 132 lbs which equals my lean body weight.
    Lean body weight 132 x 12 = 1584 calories for the day is what I get to eat :D
    I distribute my calories evenly for protein, carbs and fats for my gym days and non gym days, I cut my carbs down as much as possible! and eat more good fats to replace those calories I usually eat for my carbs, proteins stay the same :D
  • girlw00nder
    Options
    I have 7lb to loose and I'm on 1210 calories a day. I lost 1lb in my 1st week and I'm happy with that. Others have said it's low, but I find that I'm always eating under with exercise etc. So I think it's fine and sustainable. You want to ensure you're happy and comfortable with your intake and not hungry.

Good luck xx
  • TaushasJourney
    Options
    It really depends on your body! Try the 1200 cal for a couple weeks and see how it goes. 1200 isn't too low for most people, but you may have better success with a different goal. You'll have to play around with it to see what works for you.
  • lovesauburn
    lovesauburn Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I came up 1200 cal/day with myfitnesspal calculations. I don't religiously weigh & measure my food. I aim for 1200 but am ok if I go up 1500 cal/day, if it is a weekend get together with friends or I'm truly hungry. I am ok eating my workout calories, I do Bikram (hot) yoga (~ 600/calories burned per hour). If I feel drained, lack of energy (with hot yoga you sweat alot & feel dehydrated if haven't had enough fluids), then I eat/drink more. If I'm not hungry at night I just go to bed under the allotted calories. I try and weigh each week to be sure I'm making progress. Since I started regular workout, hot yoga, weight has come off. Just keep at it, pay attention to your body, how your clothes feel on you and if you are really hungry and need to eat beyond 1200 cal + exercise calories or just eating out of boredom, stress. Also I've cut way back on wine, I think that has helped with weight loss. Heaviest for me was ~ 175 (5ft 3in) and now I'm at 153.5 lbs. I still want to loose 20 lbs. I am happy with sloooow weight loss and making small but true lifestyle changes towards wt. loss and health. Best of luck, I'm sure you'll be successful. It is the long haul not the quick fixes!!
  • Sesilje
    Sesilje Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I have decided to lose 21 lbs, and that will take me from a BMI of 25.2 to 21.8. Right now my BMI is 23.0. The way I do it is to try to keep my daily net calorie intake somewhere between 1200 and 1750 calories. My weekly average usually ends up between 1650 and 1400 daily net calories.
    But I guess my approach is a little different than most people's since I don't go to the gym or do any special workout. Where I live (Sweden) it's easy to bike anywhere, so I bike as a means of transportation. 10 mins to work, 10 mins downtown, etc... This way I average about 40 mins of biking each day. Recently I've started to not take the closest route, and instead bike a little extra. :-)

1200 doesn't sound too low to me since you are eating your exercise calories. Try that strategy for a few weeks, and see if you like the results. If you don't you can do some experimenting then...
  • shadow3829
    shadow3829 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I would stick with the 1200 to start and see what happens. There is no one size fits all.